cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

AMDsince90s
Adept I

Why can't amd cards upscale video

The other day I had a friend over at my house and we were watching TV.  They were blown away at how the Nvidia Shield Pro upscale 1080 video/live TV to 4k and the results.  It got me thinking about why my GPU, a 7900xtx, can't do the same for videos on the PC.  I could be wrong and I do just not know the options or settings to finagle with to achieve this.  If so, can someone point me in the right direction?   I would love to be able to watch Crunchyroll at 4k upscale like I do on my Nvidia shield.

6 Replies
fsadough

You can do that by "Radeon Image Boost" option under Radeon Settings/Display

Um, I am not seeing that option at all.  What version of adrenaline are you on?

Sorry with consumer graphics the option is called "Virtual Super Resolution"

fsadough_0-1700475554553.png

Oh already have those options set.  VSR only works in games though.  I haven't seen it kick in for anything else.  Because when it works you get the whole message that 1440 being upscaled to 4k.   

The issue still remains is that it doesn't upscale video sources streaming from sources like YouTube or Netflix still. 

There are other 'Streaming Devices' that can be purchased, maybe research them to see if they offer similar upscaling that works with any card maker.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
fritscoa
Journeyman III

I like to hear from our integraters, the Radeon graphics consumer has a hand in making AMD better, thank you all for helping me get ahead, still enjoy putting in A GRAPHIC CARD, use catalyst and make either an i5 or my Ryzen5 have a couple gigs of Ram to help my old display look better. Can't wait to use a smart Fire TV, hope to be careful. fritscoa. 

0 Likes