cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SnowHat
Adept III

Weird issue with crashing apex legends

Hey all!! I hope by coming here I can have different perspectives so I can have this issue fixed but start, this hasn’t happened on apex before and started recently. Basically, I’ll be playing apex for like 15ish minutes and then I’m brought upon an error code and it’ll crash my game but this crash will either black screen my monitors and then go back to normal to reveal the error code or it’ll make my screens go wild. I have proof with the video embedded in the post and the error code is 0x887a0006: DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

For some reason the video won't be processed, so i'll just send a picture of what my screen looks like when I say, it goes "wild". 

I also want it to be clear that I made sure I cleaned the inside of my computer including my cpu and gpu just to make sure it wasn't an overheating or dust problem. Safe to say I managed to get a lot of dust out of both gpu and cpu. I haven't tried since but I still would like to know why an issue like this would happen and how to fix it. 

IMG_2044[1]-min.PNG

357 Replies
benjiwade
Adept II

I've played about 8 games with my browser open, Teams, etc. and no crashes so far. 

0 Likes

what driver are you in ? 

0 Likes

What driver are you using???

0 Likes

22.8.1 without Adrenalin

benjiwade
Adept II

I'm using 22.8.1 without Adrenalin but to be clear, until today it was still crashing quite regularly. Something changed, I assume. Still no crashes. Will update throughout the day.

benjiwade
Adept II

I've been playing for several hours now, probably around 20 games, no crashes. 

0 Likes

Gonna try this out with Adrenaline after I reinstall apex. I'll keep y'alls updated

FINGERS CROSSED

0 Likes

I'm on the 5500XT, latest driver (not 22.8.1), and it crashed in the lobby before I could think of matchmaking. what the F

0 Likes

hoping benji's method will work, brb

0 Likes

I don't know that I would call it a method because my game was still crashing frequently with 22.8.1 minus Adrenalin before today. I'm either having a great day or it's fixed (for me). 

0 Likes
littlenezt
Adept III

playing for 2 hours while streaming, opening chrome, whatsapp apps opened, on the latest driver no longer crashes *fingers crossed

xtreeem
Adept III

Haven't crashed for 2 days while actively playing 8h or more per day...it again magically went away after crashing multiple times per hour just 3 days ago... yey?!

p.s. too bad Nvidia GPU is on its way already

0 Likes
Kirisui
Adept I

I think they actually fixed it , I've played 4 hours yesterday and didn't have any crashes 

I'm on 22.5.1 with adrenalin

0 Likes

finally an end to this story !!

0 Likes
perfctly
Elite

I will be the judge of that. It does say resolved on the Trello board. We shall see.

0 Likes
perfctly
Elite

As far as what driver to use I would go with either 22.8.1 like he said, or 22.5.1 if you want to play other games with no issues (stuttering on warzone for drivers 22.6.1-22.8.2 or something like that. Either way, with whatever patch they allegedly implemented, the hard screen crashing should in theory be gone, and the only thing that driver versions would make a difference on apex is FPS/performance. A driver version should NOT effect such an old game lol

0 Likes
perfctly
Elite

That being said I downgraded from 22.9.1 to 22.5.1 from playing the modern warfare 2 beta and I’m going to see how apex plays now that they “fixed it” and will report back here after my session 

0 Likes
perfctly
Elite

No crash in that session, maybe they did indeed fix something????

holy crap, i just saw this on the trello that they said it was resolved, keep this information steady for the next two days and see if there are any crashes related to DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG, and if not I think it is safe to say that we finally did it boys and girls!!!

0 Likes

Had same problem did for 2 mounths or so  did thay fix it ? Btw when i went on pro drivers no crash 22.q.2 i playd on them Apex 

0 Likes
perfctly
Elite

I do believe we have done it!!

0 Likes

Im still crashing What drivers you all on? 

0 Likes

I am running the 22.9.1 drivers and I hadn't had a crash yet. Is this crash you're receiving the DXGI ERROR DEVICE HUNG Crash or is it a different one, also what graphics card are you using.

0 Likes

Not the DXGI in this instance but crash frozen screen etc. I usually have it at around the 2.5 countdown time. I have a RX570. Started since season 13 - such a pain. 

0 Likes
littlenezt
Adept III

just had 2x 2hours session, no crashes, i use 22.9.2, previously on that version it wont pass 1 hour mark

0 Likes
MintTreats
Adept I

Not the DXGI in this instance but crash frozen screen etc. I usually have it at around the 2.5 countdown time. I have a RX570. Started since season 13 - such a pain. 

0 Likes

Yeah, I also have this crash. Prior to the fix I thought this was related to the DGXI crash but apparently it's not. Since the fix I haven't had a DGXI crash but freeze during countdown before the legend selection or during the legend select still happens.

I guess we had 2 differents kind of crash at the same time, lmao this game. And it's really annoying since for me personally, it happens way more frequently than the DGXI crash. 

I found some recent reddit and apex forum post with the same issue (freeze during coutdown or legend selection, you can still hear game music but the only thing to do is force close the game with task)  manager)  : https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/x3lklj/game_crashing_on_match_start_countdown/ 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Game-freeze-on-countdown-before-selecting-Legend/td-p/118...

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Game-keeps-crashing-when-loading-into-match/td-p/11861304

but unfortunately, no one has found a fix yet. 

never had this problem before, sorry cant really help

edit:

out of curiosity, did u have your game on full screen / borderless windowed (windowed fullscreen) ?

0 Likes

My game is always on full screen since it's the best in terms of fps and input lag. 

One thing that might help is to alt + tab as soon as you find a game and come back in the game when you're in the dropship, it seems to reduce the probability of getting a freeze. But might be placebo idk since it's pretty much random just like the DGXI crash 

is it still crashing if you use borderless window? i always use borderless window for chat overlay since i do stream with only 1 monitor setup lol

0 Likes

Same exact issue on a RX570 as well since S13.

Since it's obviously never going to get fixed, it's best to keep task manager open in the background to exit and relaunch the game as fast as possible. (Make sure to have -dev in the launch option)

0 Likes

i use RX570 never had that problem

0 Likes
perfctly
Elite

Yeah I’ve never had or seen that error, I would suggest playing on full screen, and also running the r5apex.exe as administrator and see if that possibly helps if you haven’t done that yet. The fix they implemented I believed was just for the DXGI error mentioned in the OP. 

5500XT, 22.9.2 without Adrenaline, played two games, and then got the DGXI crash

SOS

Man that is really annoying to hear, I really wonder if they only tried to fix the DXGI crash for the 5700xt GPU only? The 5700XT is what I have and to be honest, I haven't given apex a longer session yet so I am not too sure but will keep you guys updated and see if it occurs!

0 Likes

5500 XT here too, 22.9.2 with Adrenaline (updated through Adrenaline, previously 22.9.1), played for about 6h yesterday and no crashes. I'll play test more, but so far the DGXI problem seems to be fixed for me. I'll edit this if it crashes again. Maybe try installing the new driver with Adrenaline?

0 Likes

How has yours been running?

0 Likes
perfctly
Elite

im running a 5600xt thicc II at 1440p No crashes since they updated Trello and the game. I would just install Adrenaline, I actually think the drivers we have got the last year have been good. This was just an isolated incident on the game itself, and Respawn for whatever reason isnt on good terms with AMD so it took longer for a fix. Other studios dont seem to have this issue because MW2 ran  SO good on my system. Apex is running great and in my testing I have been on 22.5.1 for the most stable results but if you guys are on the latest driver I may as well get on 22.9.2

davidesss69
Adept I

I got a problem with my Radeon VII and FIFA 23, it crashes every single match. I tryed like 7 million times to resolve the problem, watching hours and hours of youtube videos and still not work. I hate this GPU, FIFA is the most important game i play and this year i can't. 

0 Likes
RFMGraffix
Adept I

So who is still crashing and who isn't? I haven't crashed in a while. Ever since I removed -high from launch options and went through and repaired ALL C++, .net and runtime programs. But I would be interested to see if the game is actually fixed for most or not.

0 Likes