Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jlamazon
Adept II

video freezes using 5700G GPU on Windows 10

Hi,

I think there is a problem with AMD drivers for 5700G GPU:

when I watch a x264 movie encoded with some "high" bitrate (about 10Mb/s), I experience freezes from time to time. Video just stops for a couple of seconds and resumes.

This is happening with VLC or Media Player Classic players when using GPU to decode. Using CPU, it just works fine.

I tried the same test on Ubuntu 20.04 with VLC: no freeze at all using either CPU or GPU.

So I believe there is a bug on Ryzen 5700G x264 video decoding driver for Windows 10.

I tried some parameter changes AMD Software: Adrenalin 22.4.2 or previous one, no changes.

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Jean

1 Solution
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi,

I installed Adrenalin 23.7.1 as I read it comes from 23.10 branch and the results are WAY better: no more freeze during playing; just when moving the position in the movie.

On the samples I posted, it freezes at the beginning but not after.

So yes, BIG improvement! Many thanks to you fsadough!

Cheers,

Jean

View solution in original post

123 Replies

The problem seems to be with the video you ripped. I do not see any issues with free sample videos downloaded from pexel.com/search/videos/sample.

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

how can that be an issue with my video? Every GPU but AMD ones and any CPU can decode it smoothly.

0 Likes
fsadough

1. Did you try free sample videos downloaded from pexel.com/search/videos/sample?
    1. I do not see any freeze using these samples
    2. Video Codec shows spikes in task manager, hence decoding is taking place
  2. Which other GPU are you referring to? Please provide make and model, so I can verify.
0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

I can't see anything at pexel.com/search/videos/sample but I tried some videos at https://www.pexels.com/fr-fr/videos/.

All are OK, however they don't have any sound and they don't seem to have a high bitrate, difficult to compare.

aliens.mkv tested OK with following GPUs using VLC or MPC-HC (and making sure this GPU is used for decoding):

- Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 integrated to Intel Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @1.80 GHz

- Intel(R) UHD Graphics integrated to Intel Core(TM) i7-10850H CPU @ 2.70 GHz

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Hope it helps,

Jean

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

any update on this issue? Were you able to repro normal behavior with a non AMD GPU?

Best regards,

Jean

0 Likes
fsadough

I was able to repro the issue. On Linux it works. I have filed a ticket already. Please stand by,

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Great thanks. Was not able to confirm but on Linux, maybe only CPU is used to decode,

So basically it's either a WIndows driver problem or a chipset problem.

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

as per you request for more file failing AMD GPU decoding:

http://jlusetti.free.fr/download/rjedi.mkv

http://jlusetti.free.fr/download/fv.mkv

Using CPU: no freeze

Using AMD CPU: freezes almost every time

Hopes that helps,

Jean

0 Likes

I see only one file. Both links refer to the same clip. I will test this one. Where do you have this clip from? How did you play it?

0 Likes

I tested the clip with KMPlayer and RowerDVD 22 and it runs smooth on both players. The problem seems to be limited to VLC Player & AMD APU.

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

I see same freeze behavior with KMPlayer.

Are you sure AMD GPU is used? You should see peaks like in the picture.

Also screenshot the video settings for hardware decoding.

KMP video settingsKMP video settingsPeaks show when freezes occurPeaks show when freezes occur

0 Likes

I do not see any freezing at all with KMPlayer when "DXVA2 (native)" is selected as Hardware Decoder. With "DXVA2 (copy-back)" freezing occurs.

KMPlayer_Settings_AMD.PNGKMPlayer_GPUVideoCodec0_AMD.png

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Can't understand.

I noticed you are using a more recent driver so I updated to latest (10/11/2022).

Same result on my side. Do you see some high peaks on "Video Codec 0"? This is hapenning exactly when freeze happens:

gpu_peaks2.jpg

I Tried "DXVA2-copyback"; same result for me.

WHat AMD GPU are you using? Is it 5700G?

Very curious to have an explanation here.

0 Likes

I provided a screenshot for you with no spike. Regarding the APU:

• Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
  • APU: Ryzen 5 Pro 5650G with Radeon Graphics
  • Output: Onboard DisplayPort

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

Can't see the screenshot; what video is rendered?

Could that be an issue with Ryzen 7 5700G then as it works on your Ryzen 5 Pro 5650G?

0 Likes

I used your clip. As I mentioned the problem might be the HDMI. I am using DP output and you are using HDMI output. See below the screenshot again (from 3 weeks ago).

KMPlayer_GPUVideoCodec0_AMD.png

KMPlayer_Settings_AMD.PNG

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

I tried displayPort, very same thing, same peaks on Video Codec and same freezes.

Can you try with a Ryzen 7 5700G?

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes

I do not have Ryzen 7 5700G and since it is the same architecture, it can't be related to the APU.

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

So what other path to investigate?

Is there is some kind of developer tool capturing data to investigate these peaks? I believe they are the reason why I experience freezes at my end but not you.

Cheers,

Jean

0 Likes

Nothing extern. Search in Google might help to find such tool.

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

you sure you are playing the file http://jlusetti.free.fr/download/rjedi.mkv ?

Because on the screenshot you gave, title is "rjedi.webm", NOT "rjedi.mkv", looks like encoding is not the same.

BTW, the performance counter of interest is "Video Codec 0", NOT "Video encode 0".

Can you please update?

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes

1. When you provide a link to a video clip and I download it, it will be saved as .webm  ,feel free to send the .mkv file thru WeTransfer
  2. What is the issue here exactly? Are you complaining about spikes in Video Decode 0 or stuttering while playing the video?
  3. I have confirmed that I see some sort of stuttering in VLCPlayer but not thru KMPlayer or PowerDVD using your clip.
  4. I do not know how you ripped the video, so I cannot make any comments on the root cause. Any other clip (source: YouTube) plays just fine using VLCPlayer
0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

1. When you provide a link to a video clip and I download it, it will be saved as .webm  ,feel free to send the .mkv file thru WeTransfer

Please try Firefox, for some reason Edge saves it as webm. Right click this link (http://jlusetti.free.fr/download/rjedi.mkv), choose "Save link as..." in Firefox, file will be saved as mkv. Apparently, I need an email to send the file thru WeTransfer, please provide it if you don't want to use Firefox.

2. What is the issue here exactly? Are you complaining about spikes in Video Decode 0 or stuttering while playing the video?

I'm complaining about stuttering when playing video using GPU (again, everything is fine using CPU). Just noted some high spikes on "Video Codec 0" (NOT "Video Decode 0") corresponding to stuttering. So my guess is that they are related to the issue.

3. I have confirmed that I see some sort of stuttering in VLCPlayer but not thru KMPlayer or PowerDVD using your clip.

I experience stuttering in KMPlayer as well; to me it's not related to the player but to the option to use GPU to decode. It works with VLCplayer if I use the CPU to decode.

4. I do not know how you ripped the video, so I cannot make any comments on the root cause. Any other clip (source: YouTube) plays just fine using VLCPlayer

I don't remember which exact options I used to encode this video; but clearly, all CPUs I've tried and many GPUs are OK to decode it. All but AMD 5700G, maybe it's some unusual x264 option that is not supported, maybe something else. I just would like to understand what.

0 Likes

In WeTransfer, you can email the .mkv file to yourself and then you will receive an email from WeTransfer with a link to download. Copy and paste the link here.

So far I have tried 2x files on 3x players and the problem does not occur on my system. Please check your system. 

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

made other tests on my side together with a video made by my mobile to explain exactly what happens:

First, issue happens as well with webm extension; makes sense as only the container changes compared to .mkv; encoding is the same.

I used PotPlayer (https://potplayer.daum.net/) because it's very easy to switch between HW or SW video decoding (just a click on bottom bar). Result is the same with every other player, it's just a matter of accessing to SW or HW decoding options.

So the following video shows the issue (sorry for it to be blur as it is filmed by hand with my mobile): http://jlusetti.free.fr/download/apu_cpu.mp4

[0;24]--> HW rendering, freezes at start and at [10;16]

[29;52]--> SW rendering, smooth video all along

[55;1:18]--> HW rendering, freezes at start and at [1:03;1:09]

(done again as we can see spikes at [1:03;1:09] on "Video Codec 0" when freezes happen).

Hope than helps,

Jean

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

"So far I have tried 2x files on 3x players and the problem does not occur on my system. Please check your system. "

That's what I'm trying to do but so far I did not find anything that could explain this. This machine is very stable and performant, except on some video decoding by GPU on 5700G, everything is fine. And these videos render without any issue on non AMD GPUs and every CPU.

Maybe the video I posted above (http://jlusetti.free.fr/download/apu_cpu.mp4) can give you some hint about what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes

Looks like both your videos "aliens.webm" and "rjedi.webm" are using FFmpegVideoDecoder. Make sure ffmpeg is installed on your Windows system and use HW acceleration when playing video. 

Check this out:

FFmpegDemuxer: created video stream, config codec: h264, profile: h264 high, level: not available, alpha_mode: is_opaque, coded size: [1920,1040], visible rect: [0,0,1920,1040], natural size: [1920,1040], has extra data: true, encryption scheme: Unencrypted, rotation: 0°, flipped: 0, color space: {primaries:BT709, transfer:BT709, matrix:BT709, range:LIMITED}

Warning, FFmpegDemuxer failed to create a valid/supported video decoder configuration from muxed stream, config:codec: unknown, profile: unknown, level: not available, alpha_mode: is_opaque, coded size: [0,0], visible rect: [0,0,0,0], natural size: [0,0], has extra data: false, encryption scheme: Unencrypted, rotation: 0°, flipped: 0, color space: {primaries:SMPTE170M, transfer:SMPTE170M, matrix:SMPTE170M, range:LIMITED}

FFmpegDemuxer: skipping invalid or unsupported video track

Failed to initialize DecryptingVideoDecoder
D3D11VideoDecoder is using h264 high / 4:2:0
D3D11VideoDecoder producing NV12
D3D11VideoDecoder: Selected NV12
D3D11VideoDecoder output color space: (same as input)
D3D11VideoDecoder is binding textures
D3D11VideoDecoder is using single textures
Video is supported by D3D11VideoDecoder

Selected D3D11VideoDecoder for video decoding, config: codec: h264, profile: h264 high, level: not available, alpha_mode: is_opaque, coded size: [1920,1040], visible rect: [0,0,1920,1040], natural size: [1920,1040], has extra data: true, encryption scheme: Unencrypted, rotation: 0°, flipped: 0, color space: {primaries:BT709, transfer:BT709, matrix:BT709, range:LIMITED}

video decoder fallback after initial decode error.

Failed to initialize VpxVideoDecoder

Failed to initialize Dav1dVideoDecoder

Selected FFmpegVideoDecoder for video decoding, config: codec: h264, profile: h264 high, level: not available, alpha_mode: is_opaque, coded size: [1920,1040], visible rect: [0,0,1920,1040], natural size: [1920,1040], has extra data: false, encryption scheme: Unencrypted, rotation: 0°, flipped: 0, color space: {primaries:BT709, transfer:BT709, matrix:BT709, range:LIMITED}

Effective playback rate changed from 0 to 1

FFmpegDemuxer: av_read_frame(): End of file

Watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DZ9KhQ9LVA
https://axiomui.github.io/

https://www.wikihow.com/Install-FFmpeg-on-Windows

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Thanks fsadough,

I have installed ffmpeg and played rjedi.mkv file with it. Same outcome:

- With CPU: no freeze

- With GPU: freezes

When playing it with this command line (to force HW acceleration with ffmpeg):

ffmpeg -hwaccel dxva2 -threads 1 -i rjedi.mkv -vcodec rawvideo -acodec copy -f matroska - | ffplay -i -

here is the output: http://jlusetti.free.fr/download/ffmpeg_hw.txt

Video captured with my mobile: http://jlusetti.free.fr/download/ffmpeg_hw.mp4

Hope this helps,

Jean

0 Likes

send me rjedi.mkv via WeTransfer

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

0 Likes

Can you please provide an exact screenshot like the Method 3 below:

Method 3 - How to Check a Video Codec in Media Player?

Since MediaInfo is a free open source program, it has been embedded into a great number of media players and software. If you're using some free media players like PotPlayer, VLC Media Player, you can directly check video codec while playing a video file.

For VLC Media Player, play a video file > navigate to "Tools" on top menu bar > Codec Information, then you can check current media information on the pop-up window, as you can see below, the video codec of sample video is HEVC (H.265).

fsadough_0-1671528870617.png

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

here it is:

Codec for rdeji.mkv (HW decode)Codec for rdeji.mkv (HW decode)

HTH,

Jean

0 Likes

Same screenshot for rjedi.webm please

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

I have 7950X and currently using iGPU

I have video playback issues when hardware acceleration is enabled. I now installed the FFmpeg according to wikihow instructions and it seems to have fixed or reduced issues, but when trying those videos, like Jedi and  https://www.pexels.com/fr-fr/videos/ browser is very laggy, I get green flashes then whole screen is filled with small colored thingys and driver crashes. Did sent a bug report to AMD through Radeon software. When I disable HWA, video playback is normal and site is no longer laggy. I did not experience these with same computer, but while using RX5700 XT.

0 Likes

Need to know what codec is being used. WebM through browser can be VP8. We only support VP9/AV1.

0 Likes

Didn't notice your post before. 

I don't know which coded Disney app or Netflix app use, nor what they use when playing through Edge (or Firefox). 

0 Likes

Where did Disney/Netflix app come from? You were talking about videos, like Jedi and  https://www.pexels.com/fr-fr/videos/ . The clips on the link mentioned seem to be D3D11

fsadough_0-1672909920663.png

0 Likes

I did some retesting:

If would appear that if I go to 

edge://flags/ and change Choose ANGLE graphics backend from default to D9D or OpenGL, it fixes HBO and Netflix, but Disney still flickers green and has other issues. To fix Disney, I have to disable hardware acceleration.

>Where did Disney/Netflix app come from?

Microsoft store

Have not retested yet, but if I recall correctly, these settings affected MS Store apps as well. Have to do further tests.

EDIT:

Did more testing. Even with ANGLE graphics setting changed, Netflix and Disney Apps do not work. Disney gets green flashes and crashes. Netflix app produces block artefacts. Only after disabling hardware acceleration from Edge, these two apps start working.

0 Likes

I am still waiting for the report I asked for. Are you also using an APU?

0 Likes

I am using 7950X integrated graphics. Did not have these issues when I had 5700XT connected to this same machine with same installation.

"transfer expired" so can't do that

0 Likes