cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Whole_Egg
Journeyman III

Upgraded to 6600 XT, Windows won't detect secondary monitor anymore

I recently upgraded from an R9 Fury to a 6600 XT. My setup has 2 monitors. I have a main 165hz panel plugged in with DisplayPort and a much older 60hz one using HDMI. This setup worked perfectly fine on my old Fury card.

I DDU'd my old drivers, installed the 6600 XT and installed the latest drivers from the AMD website, and plugged in my monitors into the card the same way as with my R9 Fury, but now Windows 10 won't detect my old 60hz monitor at all. It doesn't even show up in Device Manager.

If I unplug my main monitor, I can enter the BIOS on my secondary monitor, but the signal stops when Windows 10 starts after exiting the BIOS. Moreover, I tested this monitor with 2 other PC's and they were able to output video to it just fine. And when I tried HDMI only for my main 165hz monitor, the GPU is able to output video normally, so I don't think the port itself is the issue.

So far I've tried 4 different HDMI cables, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers multiple times, reseating the GPU, tried using the earlier 22.5.1 driver,  using the basic Windows display driver, updating AMD chipset drivers, and reinstalling Windows. Still unable to detect it.

Any suggestions? Is my monitor somehow incompatible with the 6600 XT?

R5 5600 

MSI RX 6600 XT MECH 2X 8G OC

MSI B450m pro-m2 max on its latest BIOS

16gb ddr4 3200 

0 Likes
2 Replies
Mitsui14
Adept II

Maybe windows is setting an incorrect refresh rate on the secondary monitor?

You can try this: Open the Microsoft System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe), go to startup and check "Base Video". This way your computer will start in low resolution mode. Then reboot your pc with only your secondary 60hz monitor connected  and see what happens.

You can of course revert this option and do a normal startup if it doesn't work

0 Likes

I tried this but still couldn't get any signal on Windows startup for the secondary monitor.

However, I tried just normally booting into safe mode on my secondary monitor and it worked! It detected my monitor's model and everything. So now I'm wondering where I should go from here.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes