cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

laciachan
Journeyman III

system / gpu not fully utilized during gameplay

Hey, I have an RX 6800 (non-XT) that isn't fully utilizing itself. It won't hit my 240Hz FPS limit unless I use Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC) in the driver settings. Using FRTC helps the card reach the limit in most games, but neither the GPU nor my CPU is fully utilized, so I don't think there's a bottleneck especially considering my system is able to do it just only with FRTC enabled for some reason.

I posted about this on the AMD forums, but it got labeled as "malicious" and was removed for spam. 

example 
Overwatch 2: 140 - 170 FPS low utilization > FRTC enabled = 240 fps better utilization 

Here are my specs:

• Motherboard: MSI B550M Pro VDH Wi-Fi, BIOS: 7C95v2K
  • Graphics Card: Radeon RX 6800 (319 Swift)
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X (PBO+200)
  • RAM: 4x 8GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GTZRC 3600MHz (Single Rank)
  • Power Supply: Corsair CV750 Bronze, connected by pigtail to the GPU
  • Windows 11 23H2 3737
  • AMD Adrenaline 24.7.1 

The card does have a dual BIOS switch, but it's just dual normal BIOS as far as I know.

Honestly, I'm not sure what's causing the issue since clean Windows and driver installs didn't help.

0 Likes
2 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi,

the game you brought as an example is more CPU intensive and for that matter, the 5600X is not the best pair to a RX6800.

If you visit Bottleneck calculator and input your specs and pick CPU intensive tasks then it will return a substancial ammount of bottleneck, thus leading to a not as high GPU utilization.

Is it that bad? Not at all and if you can hit 240fps with FRTC then by all means, keep going!

The only thing I'm not sure is, does FRTC lowers settings to achieve the 240. I don't know.

The dual BIOS is commonly the quiet and performance mode as fan curves are concerned. Leave it at performance. There is also a small chance that by using the pigtail you don't get a steady power supply to the GPU but that normally leads to instability issues which seems to be not the case.

johnnyenglish_0-1723128304541.png

The Englishman
0 Likes

Hey I could consider upgrading later but i again dont feel like the issue here is a bottleneck considering I am able to reach 240 FPS using FRTC I do appreciate the visual tho and I checked the XFX page but as far as I could tell thats just two normal bios's and considering its possible with normal temps with FRTC enabled and the temps are normal without FRTC too so temps / fan curve shouldn't be it either idk if i've been looking in the wrong place but is there a way to force P0 the performance mode like on Nvidia cards or? iirc setting the min freq higher doesn't do anything until utilization is met but i could be wrong 

0 Likes