cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rcnyc24
Adept I

Sims 3 with Clipped Weather and No Daylight Shadows

I just recently got the AMD RX 6400 to play The Sims 3. The game runs smoothly but I'm having huge issues with weather clipping indoors, as well as daylight shadows missing.  I tried rolling back the driver to the previous one, as well have been fiddling with settings in both Adrenalin Addition and Catalyst Control Center.

I have also:

AMD Ryzen 5 4500 
8GB RAMB450M PRO-M2 MAX (MS-7B84) (AM4)
BenQ GW2283 Monitor

Any ideas? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
rcnyc24
Adept I

Okay, so I figured out the actual solution (for real this time), and will post in case this issue gets searched by another Sims 3 player with the same issue.

Apparently, EA has done the ridiculous thing of not releasing a patch that allows The Sims 3 to recognize modern day GPUs, so you have to do it manually by editing two files or use a third party mod.

With AMD cards, you have to go through the extra step of editing a line of code in a file labeled GraphicsRules, or else you'll have this clipping and shadows issue.

1. Browse to Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims/Game/Bin/Graphics Rules
  2. Find this line: "setProp $ConfigGroup RenderShadowMode 1."
  3. Change so it reads " setProp $ConfigGroup RenderShadowMode 2." 

That should fix the issue. Otherwise, you might have to update your drivers.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
rcnyc24
Adept I

Might have figured out the issue. I think my machine might've switched to a generic driver for reasons unknown. Will post an update and solution if possible, so this issue can be of help to others.

0 Likes
rcnyc24
Adept I

Okay, so I figured out the actual solution (for real this time), and will post in case this issue gets searched by another Sims 3 player with the same issue.

Apparently, EA has done the ridiculous thing of not releasing a patch that allows The Sims 3 to recognize modern day GPUs, so you have to do it manually by editing two files or use a third party mod.

With AMD cards, you have to go through the extra step of editing a line of code in a file labeled GraphicsRules, or else you'll have this clipping and shadows issue.

1. Browse to Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims/Game/Bin/Graphics Rules
  2. Find this line: "setProp $ConfigGroup RenderShadowMode 1."
  3. Change so it reads " setProp $ConfigGroup RenderShadowMode 2." 

That should fix the issue. Otherwise, you might have to update your drivers.

0 Likes