cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Tobikoriko
Journeyman III

Screen turns grey and computer display freezes, then crashes the active application

When I'm running some applications like excel, photoshop, or playing games like apex legends, sometimes my main display turns grey and then freezes the graphics on both my monitors. The computer still runs in the background as I can still hear audio coming from the system. If I wait a bit then the screens start up again but I get a report error from the AMD software and the application that I was actively using will soft crash showing only parts of the user interface. I then have to open up task manager and exit the program and rerun it. additionally when I open up my task manager It says my ram is running at around 60-70% (idk if this is normal or not). Is it a ram issue or is there a hardware error with my graphics card?

These are my specs: 

MB: B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU: AMD radeon 6900 XT
CPU: ryzen 9 3900XT 12-core Processer
Fan: NZXT krak X53 240mm
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
Power: GameMax G750-RGB 750W

0 Likes
1 Reply
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

There is a documented problem that can affect people who play Apex Legends that causes crashes outside of the game.

If it isn't Apex Legends causing it, I would:

• Use DDU to uninstall GPU drivers, restart and reinstall drivers. 
  • I would try different drivers if you were not already on 22.5.1 which is the recommended driver version.
  • Update BIOS
  • Update Chipset Drivers
  • Run Command Prompt in Administrative mode and run SFC /SCANNOW to check your file system for issues.
  • Run Windows Memory Diagnostics. This can take hours.
  • Run Command Prompt in Administrative mode and run CHKDSK /R /F  This requires a restart and takes a while depending on your storage. 

It also could be your power supply since the 6800 XT recommends an 850W PSU. Here is the APEX Legends thread Weird issue with crashing apex legends - AMD Community

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes