cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gibbsyns3
Adept I

RX550 fans not spinning (can't see settings images in previous solution)

RX550 low profile in Dell Optiplex 7010 i5 running Windows 10 64 viewing on AOC Q32 series

Software Version

Driver Version
21.30.23.04-211216a-376209C

I am not a gamer and have no cause to go near the radeon utilities until now trying to solve the issue of my fans not spinning. To my knowledge i have no third party apps that have any control over my graphics card. 

Note: I have seen a thread in which @kingfish gives settings recommendations to somebody with similar issues. I can see the OP's supplied images, but not those of Kingfish which are just image placeholders (it is a four year old post). 

Steps taken:

1. removal of card, visual inspection, checked fans will spin freely (they do), reseated ensuring no snagging by other components. Note the card was very hot despite only running background apps in the hour before the inspection.

2. followed a you tube 'this might work' video suggesting toggle of the fan setting in Radeon Performance/Tuning/Manual. The poster suggested that the 0rpm shown here was caused by this setting being enabled, and that disabling could resolve. Mine was already disabled, but i enabled it, saved, disabled, saved, neither having an effect. 

3. Ran stress test. The fan remained at 0 rpm throughout, reaching 75 degrees +

Information:

I cannot be sure how long the fans have not been operational as I have always expected them to only fire up as required. I have recently been working on some particularly intensive Photoshop tasks and the application is routinely crashing. 

Happy to provide any logs required and appreciate any help available. 

Thank you

8 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Get into the motherboard BIOS and look for fan control settings.  Have you recently reset the CMOS on this motherboard, or is it old enough that the CMOS battery may be dead?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Also check and see when you first power up the PC during POST if the RX550 Fans turns on for a second or two before stopping.

If it does then the problem is probably software or driver related.

During POST BIOS checks your GPU card which causes the GPU fans to turn on for a second or so even with Zero RPM feature.

This GPU website gives some fixes if the GPU fans don't run when they suppose to: https://www.gpumag.com/gpu-fans-not-spinning-fix/

NOTE: Radeon Settings has a "Performance Tuning" tab where you can set a Fan Profile to run any way you want. See if that helps by tuning the Fan using Radeon Settings.

By the way the reason you don't see any images in the old previous Thread is because Kingfish needed to delete images from his Accounts library to be able to download more images in the future.

Unfortunately when those images are deleted from the AMD User's account it also deletes all images in previous threads.
0 Likes
gibbsyns3
Adept I

Thank you @elstaci  and @BigAl01 , as your replies overlap I thought best to reply jointly.

Correct @BigAl01 ; the CMOS battery was dead.

I've no clue how that would affect fans, just assuming the battery caused a clock annoyance that hadn't become annoying enough to warrant the removal of many components to access it.

I have changed it now and went into BIOS where the only fan setting i found was one stating the option to enable a system fan override, with a warning that it would set the system fan to an 'excessively noisy' 100% at all times. Also noted an option to 'disable SERR messages required by some graphics cards'. I have left both unchanged for now.

During boot and while in the BIOS settings, I have one of the two fans spinning. Every 3 elephant count the card vibrates with what i can best describe as a 'grunt', and the spinning fans seems to momentarily slow.

Into windows and radeon, the stress test undertaken yesterday failed twice, crashing completely out of radeon, which reported the test fail on restart.

I played with the manual config fan options in the tuning section, setting that fans would engage at a very low temperature, and at very high temperature, applying settings, using some demanding graphics for 5 minutes and monitoring the radeon metrics. Throughout the entire of this, one fan continued spinning but minus the 'grunt' during bios/boot, one fan was never spinning, and the radeon software metrics reported the fans to be at 0 rpm.

Also if left running background services only, the same, one fan spinning, one fan still.

I do not know if the two fans would always work in unison, or if the second kicks in when more cooling is required, so do not know how relevant it is that only one is working. 

I hope that helps point me in the right direction, and really appreciate your time and interest, thank you both.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The lack of a CMOS battery just means that any settings you make will be lost the next time you power off the computer.  Everything should reset to default settings.  I don't think that would stop your video card fans from spinning up.  Regarding having one fan run and the other one not, all the video cards I have seen over the years have all fans spinning if they are spinning at all.  I suspect you have one defective fan.  That's something you might be able to replace if you are handy with modding techniques.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

If your RX550 is still under Warranty I would RMA it to have it checked, Repaired or replaced.

If it isn't under Warranty then I would replace both GPU Fans to be on the safe side.

If with both new fans replaced, the issue continues than you have a defective RX550.

NOTE: as mentioned by @BigAl01, if the Motherboard's CMOS battery is dead all that means is that you won't be able to set any settings in BIOS since whenever you reboot it will revert to its default state.

The CMOS Battery is there to keep power to the motherboard so that BIOS won't reset when you unplug your PC from the wall outlet.

gibbsyns3
Adept I

Thank you again @elstaci and @BigAl01 . I had never really consider the wider effect of cmos battery beyond clock, and though it seems there are no fan settings for it to forget, it is replaced.

I think the card is past its warranty, but i'll check. And fan replacement doesn't phase me. But before spending time/money, can either of you tell me why, with one fan at least visibly observed to be spinning, the radeon software including the stress test and various manual fan settings changes, permanently shows it as 0rpm? Does this indicate a lack of connect between hardware and software? Should it concern me? 

Your help is much appreciated. Diamond geezers. 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The 0 RPM reading indicates a disconnect if one of the fans does partially spin at times.  There could be a cut sensor wire or grounding wire.  It could also be a problem with a fan controller chip on the card itself.  If you can find the connection points of the two fans before ordering replacements, you might even find that the connectors have been slightly pulled off their posts.