cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Phoenix864
Journeyman III

RX 7900XTX: Driver Fails to Load

I've recently been having some issues with the drivers on my 7900XTX. The card has been running great for about 7 months, however after updating to the most recent driver I've been getting "driver failed to load" errors on boot. Following the first reboot after installing the latest driver, I couldn't get any display via the GPU and after switching to the iGPU found Adrenalin had disappeared. Occasionally I get freezing/black screens on the iGPU as well, which sometimes lead to the computer rebooting on its own.

Device manager either doesn't show the GPU, displays it with error 31, or displays it as disabled. I've restarted numerous times and reinstalled the most recent and the past two drivers multiple times. I've done the reinstalls both in regular windows, and DDUing in safe mode before installing a new driver with the internet disconnected. Occasionally I get lucky and the GPU seems to work without issue. However, on the next boot (without changing anything) the GPU ceases working again. This on/off behavior without any reason has had me beginning to worry about a hardware issue.

I also attempted to fully update my windows install. When restarting after initiating the updates, the process got to about 95% before I got a very corrupted BSOD mentioning "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE." The computer restarted a few times and got this same BSOD before the process finally completed successfully. sfc /scannow reports no corrupted files. I've also fully reset my BIOS to default - no overclocks or XMP enabled.

Any recommendations on how to get this 100% resolved would be much appreciated. I really don't know why this started out of the blue or what else to try to fix it. The card was 100% stable on the previous driver, but returning to that driver has had no effect on this issue. Is it possible that it's hardware related in some way?

BSOD Image 

0 Likes
1 Reply
DeNobody1
Adept I

I'm no expert,  have you made sure your gpu is firmly inserted,  and that power cables are connected properly.  If  still nothing try doing a clean install ,  if that  still didnt work try reaching out directly to amd support team.

0 Likes