cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

FLAVIOFELA
Journeyman III

RX 7900 XTX + Fortnite

I bought this graphics card specifically to play Fortnite, but I don't understand why it performs so poorly. I've tried every single video on YouTube to tweak and improve the performance, but it's very random. Sometimes, when I'm lucky, I can get stable FPS, ranging between 60 and 150 (which is bad but playable sometimes). If I don't move my character, the FPS is fine, over 200. But sometimes, like today, I turn on my PC and constantly get 25-50 FPS as I move. I bought this graphics card because I thought I would be able to have a stable 240 FPS like I see people online using a Nvidia, but it seems impossible. Does anyone know what I can possibly do to achieve that in Fortnite?
Is this tower too small?Is this tower too small?Is this tower too small?Is this tower too small?Is this tower too small?

what I have:

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K 3.60 GHz

ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition 24GB GDDR6 Graphics Card (PCIe 4.0, 24GB GDDR6, HDMI 2.1a, DisplayPort 2.1) TUF-RX7900XTX-O24G-GAMING

MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4

32GB DDR4

0 Likes
7 Replies
TechToday
Adept I

Try disabling nanite, it was killing fps for me. Also, what’s your GPU usage? Even after I disabled nanite mine was at about 50% usage 

0 Likes

I'm playing with the lowest settings to extract maximum FPS, but even then, it's been hard to achieve. my GPU usage is fine. Thank you very much for your help.

0 Likes
432hz
Challenger

1. Your GPU should be connected with separate PSU cables if possible (not daisy-chained as in the picture).
  2. What PSU do you have?
  3. What version of GPU Drivers do you have installed?
  4. How many fans does your case have?
  5. What are you GPU temps when playing Fortnite?

0 Likes

Thank you very much for your help. I tried everything you said: the drivers are most recent, temperatures are all good. The only thing I didn't try is using a separate cable. A friend suggested the same thing. Could you suggest the cables I should buy? There are so many names like PSU, PCI, PCIe, and I'm lost. Thank you again.

0 Likes

You're welcome.

What is the brand and model of your PSU? Depending on the model, it may not be powerful enough to run your GPU and could be causing the low performance.

PSU cables come with your PSU and are typically specific to that make and model of PSU. In other words, don't go out and buy 3rd party PSU cables or mix and match cables from other PSUs -- using them could damage your PC.

First step is to verify your PSU is strong enough to run your PC. If it's not, then you'd have to buy a new PSU that is strong enough, ideally with at least 3 VGA cables.

0 Likes

My PSU is the ROG Strix 1000G (image attached). Do you think it's strong enough for the graphics card? I didn't know about this information regarding the PSU cables. Thank you very much; I was about to make a mistake. Which cables do you suggest for this PSU? This is my first experience building a PC, and I'm feeling very welcomed by the community. Thank you very much for your help

ROG-Strix-1000G

81BJe-DxRLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

0 Likes

Hello,

That PSU should be more than powerful enough for your system. According to your PSU's specification sheet, it already comes with 3 separate PCI-E/VGA cables (see screenshot).

You should use all 3 cables to connect your GPU if possible. I don't think this will fix the issue, but it is a best practice.

What resolution is your monitor and what resolution are you playing Fornite at?

The seemingly random variation in FPS is strange -- are you running a lot of other apps in the background while gaming?

Also, what version of GPU Drivers / Adrenalin do you have installed? For example, I am running 23.12.1.

asus-psu.PNG

0 Likes