cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

yani992
Journeyman III

RX 7900 XT deadly crash. Driver timeout error and device disabled.

Hi,

I have been experiencing this error for 4-5 days. The first time while playing Skyrim VR via SteamVR. The game crashed with an AMD driver error (Driver timout). The GPU fans start spinning at 100%, BSOD, I completely lost access to the GPU and the device (RX7900XT) is disabled in Windows.

Restarting Windows (11) did not change the situation.

The only way to access (or to see) again Windows was to switch to the iGPU. I then had to reinstall completely the AMD drivers to be able to use again the RX 7900 XT as the main GPU. I tried the current version of the drivers (24.6.1), the previous one (24.5.1) and 24.1.1. I sent a crash report to AMD.

This unpleasant event kept occurring again every day at different times after the gaming session started.

Yesterday the same crash occurred while playing VTOL VR, again via Steam VR.

I began to think it is related to SteamVR (somehow), as it never happened playing MSFS or DCS via OpenXR.

But today the same crash happened twice while playing Call of Duty Warzone 2 (so NOT a VR game). The crash always happened when a match was found and the map was loading.

Again, the only way to regain access to the RX 7900 XT was to install from scratch the drivers (either as a simple reinstall or purging from DDU and reinstalling).

Recently (before the crash began) I did not make any hardware change, BIOS change or config change to the Adrenalin profiles.

I am beginning to lose faith in the GPU (which is still under warranty), but I fear that the problem might be in the drivers themselves.

Does anyone had similar (bad) experiences? Any hint?

Thanks.

0 Likes
4 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

What are your full system specs including make/model of your power supply?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

yani992_0-1720475133207.png

Hi ThreeDee,

here are my specs.

Power supply: EVGA 1000 P6 (1000 W)

One more think:

looking at other posts for similar problems, I found some interesting tips from one guy with a XT7600. After the last driver update, they found a strangely high overclocked frequency in Adrenalin.

I checked my Adrenalin settings and it was set to 2850 MHz! Now, I do not know what the default value should be, but I never touched the overclocking settings (if not for setting the fans' speed).

So, I dialed down the GPU frequency to 2750 MHz and yesterday I was able to play.

I still do not know if SteamVR is a culprit, because I manages to start SkyrimVR with OpenComposite and OpenXR. But I did not have any problems playing other games in 2D, as well.

So, so far I found a (temporary?) workaround, but it would be good to know if the AMD drivers had/have something to do with my last horrible days.

Cheers.

0 Likes
Swaina
Journeyman III

I am experiencing the exact same issue, disables my GPU, lose the 2nd monitor as it's connecting through Microsoft basic driver. I have to reanable it to get setting back and the 2nd monitor but eventually happens again. I don't know the cause, but you're not alone. Only thing I have noticed is the GPU starts going full speed, loud and seems hot. Idk if the GPU is overheating causing it to shut itself off as a safety net or not. I have a 850+ gold PSU. When it's playing and working GPU temp is like 53°C, so not very hot.

0 Likes

Hi @Swaina ,

look what I wrote to @ThreeDee above. Maybe you can find something useful.

0 Likes