cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Rosynn
Journeyman III

Rx 7700 xt PSU connection

I just got a pc with Gigabyte rx 7700 xt  12 gb (OC) gpu and the PCU in the case only has one PCIe cable fit for the gpu. It has 2x 6+2 connectors but its on the same cable the second is its tail. I saw some people saying that you should always use seperate pcie cables for each 8pin connections on the gpu but other than buying a new pcu I don't see any other option but to use it as is. Do you think its absolutely imperative that I use 2 seperate cables and to that end should get a new psu with more cables or is it ok to just keep using it like that. My system has :

AMD Ryzen 5 7600 cpu, Gigabyte A620M Gaming motherboard, 32 gb rams, Gigabyte rx7700 xt gpu and the psu is a FSP Hydro K Pro HD2-850 W that came in the pc case preinstalled.WhatsApp Image 2024-01-12 at 00.47.39.jpeg

Qb
0 Likes
1 Solution
CaligoVereor
Challenger

Daisy-chaining cables like that is considered suboptimal but for a GPU like yours it is fine. It can potentially be an issue with more powerhungry hardware so I wouldn't connect a 4090 or a 3090 like that but a 7700XT should be perfectly fine.

So, really, I'd say you're fine as it is and getting a new PSU would only be needed if you plan on doing some heavy overclocking (daisy-chain might cause issues like instability, potentially) or if it just really bothers you. But the GPU will work fine as it is and you won't really see any performance differences.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CaligoVereor
Challenger

Daisy-chaining cables like that is considered suboptimal but for a GPU like yours it is fine. It can potentially be an issue with more powerhungry hardware so I wouldn't connect a 4090 or a 3090 like that but a 7700XT should be perfectly fine.

So, really, I'd say you're fine as it is and getting a new PSU would only be needed if you plan on doing some heavy overclocking (daisy-chain might cause issues like instability, potentially) or if it just really bothers you. But the GPU will work fine as it is and you won't really see any performance differences.