cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

worms
Journeyman III

rx 7700 xt green screen crash and timeout?

Hello! I recently built a pc with a RX 7700 XT. 

I was having no problem browsing/updating drivers/customizing my windows. Basic browsing. 

But when I tried to open a game (Baldur's Gate 3, Directx11 mode) - it green screened after loading the game and crashed. 

After booting back up I'd periodically have issues with pixel-y type corruption and timeouts. 

I double checked all my hardware was seated right, but nothing seemed to be off there. The HDMI is plugged into the GPU, basic stuff. I'm not overclocking or under or any of that. Just straight forward settings. I turned off the Super Resolution and that seemed to help a Little but definitely didn't fix the issue. 

My full set up is:

Samsung Viewfinity UR55 28-inch 4K HD 60hz 
Gigabyte B550 DS3H AC 
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
NVMe Samsung 980 1TB 
T-Create Expert 2 x 16gb 
Vetroo PSU 1000W Gold 

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first build so I'm not exactly familiar with all this! 

31 Replies
Kalana
Challenger

Hi, green screen usually occurs hardware performance incompatibilities, graphic drivers corruptions or even due to temperature limits. Since it's not certain which could be yours but lets start with the common ones.

Try a fresh driver installation.
Use the link be low to download the DDU and cleanup the drivers as instructed on the page. Booting Windows Safe-mode will be better handled in cleaning process.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Also have the driver downloaded as well to install once it's cleaned up. Use the link below and select Graphics, the Model and Windows version. Download the listed last stable version.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

And you can also Disable or turn off Windows Display Driver Update avoiding future driver conflicts. You can find this on, Advanced System Setting - System Properties - Hardware - Device Installation Settings.

Try a motherboard BIOS update as well. See that it the latest stable version.

If problem still occurs, check the temps. Sometimes even though the temps show's are around 80C, the hot spot can be higher and when it reaches 110C it'll crash. You can check in Adrenalin software while playing the game or getting the log from Metrics.

If the temperatures are fine, let's see if it has to do with any hardware incompatibilities.

0 Likes

Hello! And thank you so much for the information!

Some updates: 

I updated my motherboard to the most recent BIOS. Then I reinstalled the chipset drivers and ??? Tried to update the GPU drivers. However, I don't know if it worked? On Gigabytes APP center program EasyTune it didn't seem to be even acknowledging my GPU was connected? But Adrenaline installed and seemed to update the divers? I refreshed just to check and it said up to date? 

It crashed shortly after with the same green screen. It's not like a windows green screen btw, it just goes totally green. 

Unfortunately, now things seem to have gotten worse. When I start the system it does begin to run but my monitor doesn't show anything. The lights on my keyboard don't even light up. It will run for a while and then eventually turn off/go into sleep? The Cooler LED remains on so possibly sleep but clicking my mouse (which Seems to be connected as it lights up) doesn't start it back up. I can press the power button again but it just repeats the process. 

I'm very confused. A CPU issue? 

I initially built this with an ASUS tuff gaming B550 PLUS WIFI motherboard and all the same components. It posted and I made it through set up and windows 11 install. 

Shortly after though, the motherboard had some issue and wouldn't turn on. The PSU was and is working just fine. So I replaced the motherboard. 

When I started up after getting the hardware all together again it gave me the screen about a new CPU being put in but I didn't go to setup from there? Whatever I pressed just restarted and opened Windows. I'm concerned maybe this caused issues for my CPU but I'm not sure. 

‍edit: some other things I've tried were clearing CMOS/reseating the GPU and I also ran chkdsk on my ssd. 

0 Likes

Hi, could be the CPU though maybe it's the motherboard? B550 series had a hard time handling High-End components at the time.  It was unable to keep up with the high bandwidth transfers. Usually a X570 will be the most compatible here. Though let's see if it's any other reason too. Also just some information, with lack of VRM cooling in the B550M DS3H AC, you might not hit the maximum clock-speed that the 5800X3D is capable.

Make sure Motherboard BIOS updated, 5800X3D needs the update in order to run and improve stability. You can find it in the link below.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-AC-rev-10-11-12-13/support#support-dl-bios

Let's see if updating BIOS works, else move to any other causes.

0 Likes

Hi! 

i also recently purchased athe 7700xt and been testing it for almost 2 weeks now. I've had 4-5 green screen crashes while playing apex legends or Teamfight Tactics. I've tried to clean install drivers in safe mode and it kept happening. My temperatures are fine, never past 55 degrees.

My system is old, im buying the newer parts one by one. 

my CPU is i5 7500

PSU is 600W

mobo is ASUS H-110MK

My total wattage is lower than 280W mostly, my GPU has never demanded more than 145W. Is this issue related to poor drivers optimization? My previous GPU was a 1050Ti and i had never have this happen to me.

0 Likes

Hi, yes it can be the unstable drivers or poor optimizations. The latest hardware is always released for newer systems to get the most out of it. Also making sure the compatibility between each hardware for marketing purposes. They will keep optimizing the hardware generation down the line, to make them more compatible with older hardware moving forward.

Though it could be that you are having compatibility issues. Your mother board uses PCIe 3.0 lanes, it will work fine but installing high end PCIe 4.0 graphics card on a PCIe 3.0, you may experience reduced performance. The 1050Ti was fine using a lower bandwidth. 

Even the CPU matching with RAM and this GPU can cause bottle necks as well.

0 Likes

Hi again, i reinstalled windows and updated my bios but unfortunately crashed again like an hour ago. I am fine with a slightly reduced performance by gpu but i just hate to crash into green screens unannounced.. no one really has a solution for this issue. I've ordered r5 5600 and A520 mobo today and will install them when i recieve them. I hope the issue will be resolved. I havent updated to 23.10.1 do you think i should take the jump? 

Thank you for your answers

0 Likes

Hi, sorry to hear that. You can try since you are having green-screen issues to see if it's a workaround, but make sure you DDU the previous in Safe-mode.

Also, though the A520 is a good entry level motherboard, it uses PCI 3.0 lanes as well. Though the unnoticeable performance are reduced. I'm worried about bottlenecks and hardware incompatibilities. I think it's too late, but I'd recommend an ASUS B550 Motherboard. A solid upgrade if you can find a used one at least.

By the way, what's the PSU your using. Certain PSU that cannot provide clean power can cause it too.

0 Likes

My psu came with the case i bought years ago, i really dont know the brand of it all i know that it provides 650W peak, 600W guaranteed. Im going to switch to a 700W Zalman brand. I cant afford the pci 4.0 motherboards in my region I had to go for the A520. I'll update to latest drivers with fresh windows again when I recieve the parts. Would you happen to know if earlier versions like 23.9.1 caused crashes too? I can try an older driver too, im new to amd and saw that a lot of users use older drivers.

0 Likes

I see, but for a PSU try to go for an Corsair Semi Modular, even EVGA G series should be great option to go for. You know these new GPU's seems to draw power in a predictable way. Better to have a reliable PSU. Just letting you in with things I went across.

As I know, 23.9.1 was first issues fixed driver came for 7700XT and 7800XT. Though it had crash in few games and certain trouble FreeSync. Still you can try it out to see if the problem persists.

0 Likes

Thank you so much for your replies i will look for a 700-750W corsair or similar brand psu. Im trying every fix i can find abt this topic its really depressing that none of them work..

0 Likes

Just try the below workarounds and see if any of it fixes.

01. Check your power-plan, and set it to High Performance

02. Disable the Multi-Plane Overlay.

This feature acts to decrease GPU and CPU workload and utilizes plane-independent page flips to reduce the latency. You can disable it using Registry Editor.

Run regedit and navigate to the this location
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm

Create a New - DWORD 32-bit Value

Rename the value as OverlayTestMode then right-click and select Modify

In the Value data field, type 5 and select OK. Save the changes and exit

After restarting see if it still gives this error.

03. Try disabling ULPS, an ultra low power saving feature

Click Start - Type regedit.exe and hit enter.
In registry editor, press F3 and type EnableULPS, hit enter.

Keep pressing F3 until it finds a key called EnableULPS in a sub folder called 0000
Double click the reg entry and change value from 1 to 0

Keep pressing F3 until it finds a key called EnableULPS in a sub folder called 0001
Double click the reg entry and change value from 1 to 0

0 Likes
ssaki
Adept I

I did them, also last night i was viewing the event viewer and encountered the 4311 error code. When i tried to check the driver from the device manager, pc crashed with a power surge error and it forwarded me to BIOS. Idk about 4311 code but it says things about drivers. 

0 Likes

I'm not sure how it's related to the GPU. Event logs 4311 error, probably the NetBT Error. It's a problem that happens mostly on older devices, and sometimes even on newer builds of computer. It is triggered while playing video games, browsing the web, and pr even launching other applications.

The event that occurs after the network adapter has been removed and detected by Microsoft Windows, which try and reinstall it. The system log is the one that appears in the Event Viewer. The reason for the failure is that the driver device cannot be created. This is due to the fact that drivers can become obsolete over time, and when there is a lack of room for such components, the compatibility problems come to the surface. It could could be cause of matching up newer components with older ones.

Solutions could be updating the drivers, but since it's already been done to GPU. Check on the other devices as well, even motherboards.

Try and Remove Third-Party Software overlapping with your existing ones. Or some other safe programs which might conflict with certain system components and cause the error. Even malicious software's can be the problem. The sfc /scannow command in cmd. will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files.

Finally, you could Disable Automatic Restart

On the search tab, Type View Advanced System Settings
Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
Uncheck the marks next to Automatically restart under the System Failure and click OK

0 Likes
ssaki
Adept I

Windows has barely any apps in it i dont really think its a malware issue. I'll look for corrupted files. I also recieved the new mobo and cpu, should i wait until i get the new psu to install them all togheter? 

0 Likes

Yes please, think it's a always the best choice. Pairing hardware with the same time period can reduce incompatibilities.

0 Likes

I ran the cmd code and the prompt said it found errors and fixed it but idk how to view which corrupted files they were. I'll wait for the psu then. Until it arrives if i happen to run into green screen crash again i'll update here. I've tried every option you suggested so i hope one of them will work :(. 

0 Likes

Sorry you having them. /.\
Keep posted and I'll do my best give solutions for you.

It happened again with the newer parts.. This time tho, i recieved the event id 18 error. It happened while i was adjusting my character in baldurs gate 3. I cranked the details in hair to max and boom green screen then instant reboot. Instant reboot didnt happen before, i used to manually restart. I am on 23.10.2 driver. 

0 Likes

Hi, Sorry to hear that. it's unfortunate. Event ID 18 error should be due to hardware related again. Can know the specs of the PC, the whole thing with the new replaced parts?

0 Likes

Cpu: r5 5600

Gpu: sapphire 7700xt

Ram: 32gb corsair 3600mhz

Psu: corsair 750w tx750m

Mobo: gigabyte a520m 

In the error id details it says: cache hierarchy error. This is the first time im getting this and its only happened while playing bg3. Apex, cp2077, tft all run fine. 

The temps are 91°C max for cpu while gaming on ultra cp2077. My cooler is stock, i didnt know stock cooler was that bad.

0 Likes

For the Event ID 18 error, the Cache Hierarchy Error occurs due to CPU overheating from improper thermals or overclocking or CPU isn’t getting enough power and sometimes Corrupt or outdated driver. So for now first guess is that CPU thermals, because it's not normal.

For the 5600 The temperature lower than 85°C is ideal. The stock cooler isn't really bad, It manages to hold up the 5600X version at 90% speed at 82C. The Ryzen 5600's maximum temperature is 95°C based on AMD's specs sheet. So it could be causing it.
See that the cooler is sitting properly and the latch is locked in tight, sometimes it seems locked but needs some extra push and the click.

Or your fan curve isn't working or set properly for the CPU or the whole Systems case fans. Are you using a software for this or the BIOS controls?

Have you updated the BIOS? If you haven't use the link below to download and update to the latest BIOS. I should help with AGESA and Memory Clocks. Also Set the DOCP to reach the RAM to 3600Mhz.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520M-H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

If it still exist, see if the Core Performance boost is enabled and disable it.

0 Likes

Okay i'll try your suggestions today. And there was a cmd code that you suggested for detecting errors and fixing them, what was that? I couldnt find it again. Thank you

0 Likes

All right, Run cmd as Administrator sfc /scannow
But I suggested that in earlier build, if the system files are corrupted. And I don't think it's the issue here. Should be the thermals. But still you can try it to rectify any other system errors.

0 Likes

I updated the bios to the latest now, i'll go in and check the fan speeds. My rams are at 3200 mhz, i couldnt set them to 3600 from the gigabyte app in windows there was no 3600 option. My cpu fan is properly seated imo, when installing it i took special attention for the screws and turned them until i heard the click sound and they could not turn anymore. Maybe it is just inadequate cooler 

0 Likes

Okay, how'd it go with the fan speeds and how temps now? Inadequate, I really doubt that. Unless CPU overclocked, did you check and see if the Core Performance boost is enabled and disable it. Else it has to do with the fan speeds. Have you installed the Gigabytes software? or anything else that's controlling the fans.

About the RAM, is it a 4 or 2 kit? If two, have you got them in A2 and B2 slots? And the memory speeds, check and enable the XMP, set the Dram frequency to 3600MHz and I'm not sure if it automatically sets the voltages in Gigabyte, so if it doesn't set the voltage at 1.35v.

0 Likes

Okay so i maxed out the fan speeds from bios to 1200 rpm. The rams are 4 kit, dual channel all installed color coded. Mhz is set to 3600 from bios. I havent checked the core boost is on or not and idk about the voltage for cpu its default settings rn. I also installed one of the fans in reverse so i had 2 outlet fans instead of 1 inlet 1 outlet 

Now for the update, i played bg3 for 4 hours today after these changes. The temperature is at steady 85C for the cpu. I havent experienced any crashes today. The problem was most likely the temperature. In the meantime i'll try with cp2077 and other games as well. If any crash happens again i'll make sure to update. 

0 Likes

That's good to know. If you mentioned the 1200rpm for CPU cooler, it has a maximum speed of 2000rpm. So you can up the speeds more if you want to keep the temps even down. It'll be a little louder, though will get the job done.

If the RAM hits 3600MMHz at Task Manager, then the voltages are set properly from the BIOS itself through XMP. So no worries if so.

Yes, it's good to have more at exhaust. And should have the higher RPM than the intakes.

Do keep posted, Even the case model if needed to check which fan setup fits the most.

0 Likes

The 1200 rpms are for case fans, i maxed out the cpu fan as well but didnt remember the rpm. I did enable the xmp from bios as well. So far so good!

0 Likes

All right, that's great to know.

0 Likes

It happened again just now in bg3.... The same event id 18. Cpu wasnt even that hot i was playing the game for 5 mins. I also have the 8233 warning id that im seeing for the first time. 

You're experiencing issues with your new PC, particularly when playing Baldur's Gate 3 in DirectX11 mode with an RX 7700 XT GPU. The problems include green screens, crashes, pixel-y corruption, and timeouts. Ensure your GPU drivers are updated, monitor temperatures, and check game settings for compatibility. Disabling Super Resolution helped somewhat, but consider exploring advanced graphics settings in the game. Check for motherboard firmware or BIOS updates and consult game forums for specific troubleshooting. Good luck with your first build!

0 Likes