cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

FlawedAdvocate
Journeyman III

Rx 6950 XT grinding noise???

I have a weird issue with my graphics card that I never came across before.  I only just got the card around November of last year.  When playing a game or editing videos there is like a grinding noise that come from the card.  The more under load it is the louder that grind is.  I need help figuring it out as I had no luck searching for it!  It doesn't sound like a coil whine from what I've heard so I'm at a major loss as to what to do.

This is what it sounds like.

https://youtube.com/shorts/EWWJ-qXktLg?feature=share

0 Likes
9 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

To me looks like coil whine as they can do a wide variety of sounds lol

But I'm not there to be 100% certain.

Does the sound continues even if you use zero rpm?

The Englishman
0 Likes

It does not.  It only starts to show up when doing certain things.  But primarily on my 4k monitor.  It will start up mainly during gaming.

If this is a coil whine then is there a way to fix this or will I have to get a new card?

0 Likes

Coil Whine is something out of my reach for a good&solid explanation, its also very hard to mitigate or even fix, not all vendors accept coil whine as a motive to RMA.

Its not just a GPU thing, happens with PSU's, board VRM's and so many more.

There are settings that might mitigate it like VSYNC on or OFF depending on the game. Freesync off might help sometimes. Radeon Chill will help a lot limiting FPS to match what your display can do.

I found that undervolting helps a bit too. Do some fine tuning to help and search a bit on the web.

Example:

the Original HALO with VSYNC OFF or Freesync will give a really REALLY loud coil whine that completely disappears when I turn VSYNC ON and Freesync OFF in adrenalin.

When I open Steam, more coil whine, strange but that's it.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes

I will look into this and see what works out!

0 Likes

Some game engines when in menus with vsync off can have runaway fps.

Using a cap with FRTC can help most times to control it.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I will try to cap the frame rate and see what I get.

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

How are your temps when under load?

Coil whine can be mitigated by pairing the "right" PSU with a particular GPU sometimes

What is your GPU and what make/model is your power supply?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

The PSU is an EVGA 1000+ G and the GPU is a 6950 XT.  The GPU temps run around 64 degrees Celsius while running Rise of Tomb Raider in 4k on highest settings.

0 Likes
avaalbertreo
Journeyman III

you have to sort out these issues.

1. Something in the Fan Bearing
  2.  Fans are Failing – Buy New Ones
  3. Cables Too Close to the Fan Blades
  4. Dust or Tissue on the Fan Blades
  5.  Coil Whine
  6.  The GPU is Faulty (Manufacturing Defect)
0 Likes