cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Draxar
Journeyman III

RX 6700XT under load power shutdown

Symptom 1:  under load (gaming), the entire system will power off.

Symptom 2:  upon boot, Adrenaline software will often report a driver timeout and prompt a bug report submission (this is likely unrelated but included for completeness).

Recently I built a new system with AMD instead of Intel/Nvidia but have discovered that, under heavy load, the system will simply power off.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX with an AMD Ryzen 5 7600X running Windows Home 11 64-bit.  Adrenaline software is running 23.4.2 -- RAM is G.SKill DDR5 5200 (2 x 16b). 

At first I suspected an overheat condition, and began logging both the CPU and GPU temperature over time -- while sometimes running hot, I could not get either to even issue a high temperature alert before the shut off would happen.  I updated the BIOS to the latest and this did get the CPU to run cooler, but in testing I also discovered that, while in some games the failure seemed to take a while to manifest, in Star Citizen I could trigger the failure within minutes of starting the PC (i.e. so an overheat was unlikely).  I next thought perhaps that power was spiking, so replaced the 750 watt PSU with a 1000 watt, but nothing changed.

Running MemTest64 on the RAM revealed no errors -- I've no logs or anything that show a particular crash was coming or was expected.  If there is not a high GPU load the system appears normal.  Running stress tests on the GPU and the CPU can spike voltage and temperature but not trigger the sudden shutdown.  The shutdown can happen in multiple games -- I mention Star Citizen as that is my current test because I know how to induce the failure there.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?  My current line of thinking is a bad driver (known issue?) but I don't see this symptom many places, or I might need to RMA the board (MSI Support was not terribly helpful).

0 Likes
0 Replies