cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Immortadell
Journeyman III

RX 6700 XT random freezing

HW: Gigabyte RX 6700 XT Gaming OC, Ryzen 5 5600X, ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI), 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (XMP on), Corsair CX750M (2021), 2x NVMe Samsung drives

So, my problem is random system freezes that sometimes appear after a few minutes, sometimes after several hours. It happens when playing video or playing games. The screen freezes (for games) or is black (for video), the fans continue to spin, the keyboard and mouse are lit, the audio is still heard. Sometimes the keyboard shortcut alt+ctrl+del helps and a message about "driver timeout" appears (with video) and sometimes you have to do a hard reset (games). It also happens on stock radeon settings (no overclock etc.)

From my observations: it happens significantly more often if I have any newer driver installed than 22.5.1 (recommened) and I also feel that it happens more often when I use a chromium based browser (Edge). When I tried Firefox, it was OK(ish). I have turned off the HW acceleration in the Edge. The temperature of the card is great and moves max to 75°C , 65°C typical (junction).

According to the another posts a lot of people have this problem, but does anyone have a fix for it yet? Thanks a lot!

9 Replies
Zoli1992
Journeyman III

I have the same problem with 6700XT. I play PUBG and every 3-4 match the game freeze but the audio, keyboard and mouse is working. I tried everything yo solve the issue and nothing working. I reinstalled windows, reinstalled drivers, newest BIOS etc. and the game still freeze. I'm struggling for a year now and no solution.

0 Likes
Deemon69
Elite

Good day!

Try installing the AMD Ryzen™ Balanced Snappy or AMD Ryzen™ Ultimate Performance power plan. After that, see if the PC is stable or not.
Power plans can be found here https://www.overclock.net/threads/ryzen-custom-power-plans-for-windows-10-balanced-and-ultimate-and-...

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

things to do that may or may not help, but good to do regardless

Update your motherboards BIOS to latest

Make sure you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com

Make sure you are running separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU

Make sure you have good air flow to keep your VRM's and RAM cool too

..and of course, make sure everything is seated properly

Check for an updated vBIOS for your GPU .. Gigabyte makes it pretty easy to update. Just did it on my card a couple days ago

My card has a vBIOS switch .. you could try switching to other vBIOS and reboot and see if it performs better. IF you bought the GPU used, it could have a mining and/or tweaked BIOS flashed to it

I currently run the Gigabyte RX 6800 Gaming OC .. and it's been a great 1440p card without issue

I was running and now it's in my daughters setup .. an MSI RX 6700xt x2 Mech OC .. it too was/is a great card without issue at 1440p and 1080p

I ran the blower style launch ASRock RX 5700xt that ran great without issue.. and now an ASRock RX 5700xt Phantom Gaming D that was in my daughter's and now it's in my wife's setup .. and it's a great stable card

Your issue's can/could be attributed to any kind of cable extenders INSIDE the case and/or PCIe riser cables .. a PSU that is just not up to the task of running things at 100% load ..unstable overclocks .. to name a few

My wife's setup at the time (3700x,B550m Phantom Gaming 4, 2x16GB 3200, RX 550 2GB,Thermaltake RGB 500wtt 80 Plus white) was having driver timeouts and issues that seemed to point to the GPU being faulty .. I swapped out her power supply with a 600wtt 80+ Gold and all her issues went away .. now she runs a 5600x, 2x8gb 3466,5700xt, Seasonic 850wtt 80+ Platinum (same motherboard) without issue

ThreeDee PC specs
hinst
Adept I

Good day everyone; it is year 2023 and this problem is still not fixed. I get random system freezes from Sapphire RX 6700XT while I play games and I have zero reason to believe that the cause might be anything else but the graphics driver... No overclocking, no tweaking, using official driver with default settings, 600W Gold PSU from Deep Cool... I had crashes last year, and the year before... Right now I use the official 23.7.2 driver

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have problem for months, you can follow my discussion about this problem. https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/6700xt-random-pc-freezing-since-v22-11-2-and-with-ever...

I tried many things and nothing fixed it.

what is your motherboard? I think about getting new one so if you can share information about your motherboard that would be nice.

0 Likes

My motherboard is MSI B450-A Pro Max. If I ever find a solution for this problem, then I will post it in this thread (I am still looking)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have b450 tomahawk max but other guy have b550 elite so its not about motherboard.

problem did happen more with driver v23.7.2 so I have v23.7.1.

try this: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/pc-completely-freezes-randomly-if-i-m-not-using-22-5-1...

0 Likes
D4wid_ek
Journeyman III

Hello, I have the same problem, the game sometime stops at 13 Fps and nothing helps (alt tab does not work) and I have to wait until the problem passes itself, reinstalling the drivers does nothing and updating the BIOS as well. I have a Sapphire 6700XT crankcase on the Aorus B550 Elite AX V2 motherboard, 700W charger. I guess it's the manufacturer's fault, probably I will exchange for an asus 6700XT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

any news? update about this?

0 Likes