cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Larius619
Journeyman III

rx 580 8gb Problem

I have an RX 580 SERIES (8GB) since July 2020. It worked fine until around December 2022. Since then, I've been experiencing stuttering in demanding games (like Red Dead Redemption 2). I used MSI Afterburner to check, and indeed, the MHz jumps from 1300 to 300 intermittently every second when temperatures exceed 84ºC. Lowering the graphics settings doesn't help much. I've tried everything to fix it, but it didn't work. I was told that GPUs have a lifespan of 2 years and that it's normal for it not to perform at 100%, but I want to be sure. Do you know if I can fix it? I appreciate your help.

My specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz

RAM: 16gb (dual)

Driver version installed : AMD Radeon Adrenalin software (23.11.1)

0 Likes
1 Reply
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Whoever told you that is wrong!

My Polaris RX480 lasted since launch to somewhere mid 2022 while the GPU crisis was still going.

Probably the last user didn't took good care of it. I don't know... Maybe a repaste is in order...

Try reducing clock a bit and undervolting it to check if it still does that. Better not to throttle at lower clock than throttle at all.

Is your Reference or AIB? AIB's back then put much more effort, mine had a 3 fan and a big overbuilt cooler that allowed me to go nuts with OC while never going too much above 65/70Cº

In the end.... it may be time to get an upgrade, as good as the Polaris cards were, its time.

The Englishman
0 Likes