Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

LeTitige
Adept II

Random crashes on RX 7800 XT

Hello everyone.

Since 1 week, my GPU (RX 7800 XT, reference model from Sapphire) is crashing at random moments.
This is starting to make my little gaming sessions a little annoying. It can crash 2 times in 10 minutes.
It happens when I'm on a browser, on a game or when I'm watching a video on my computer.

When I talk about crashes, I mean : 

• Black screens
  • No sound
  • Discord crash
  • Reset of GPU profile in Adrenalin

I'm starting to regret my switch from Nvidia to AMD at a certain point.
The first 2 months were great, no crash, no performance drops.
But now, it's starting to make me uncomfortable regarding this choice of GPU.

My specs if it can help :

Ryzen 5 7600X
RX 7800 XT
32 GB RAM
B650M MB
750W Modular PSU

I don't think AMD is going to resolve this problem as it's happening to a lot of people since many months.

Thanks for reading.

0 Likes
22 Replies
LeTitige
Adept II

It happened again.
I launched HELLDIVERS 2.
A crash occured 10 minutes after.

0 Likes
LeTitige
Adept II

And again.
It's starting to become annoying.
I'm not alone in this case, some friends with AMD graphics cards are encountering the same problem.

0 Likes
lyme
Adept I

LeTitige, would you humor me and try something. Using the latest beta drivers 24.2.1, go into the amd control panel, go to performance, go to tuning, click on custom, turn on gpu tuning, turn on advanced control. Set the max frequency slider to 2430 MHz (What I found online as the max boost for your card). 

Try running it like that for a while and see if you continue to get the random crashes. (This needs to be applied after every driver change, or crash that resets the values).

0 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for your answer. I'm going to try this.
I can't go under 2438 MHz. I don't know if it's important or not for the tests...

0 Likes
hardreset
Challenger

Do you have any components overclocked in your computer? RAM, CPU, GPU?
What version of drivers are you using?
Have you tested the stability of your computer, e.g. in OCCT?

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
First, I've never overclocked anything on my computers (except my previos graphics card because the warranty was passed). I've tried many tests on OCCT and 3DMarks with 24.1.1 drivers and everything was ok but when I launched a game or just a video on my PC or YouTube, it crashed within 5 to 10 minutes.
I'm going to test the beta drivers 24.2.1 (or 23.40.19.01 if I trust what I see on my screen now).

0 Likes

LeTitige_1-1708818487175.png

No error detected by OOCT during the 20 minutes long test.

0 Likes

Do OCCT CPU Limpack version 2021 test and VRAM test too. 

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes
LeTitige
Adept II

LeTitige_1-1708860166369.png

Here are the results of VRAM test

Have you done a CPU test?

I had a similar problem with CoD Warzone. It turned out that the computer passed all 3D brand tests etc. without errors. I have OC and UV the CPU, GPU and RAM. It was enough to increase the voltage on the CPU, lower the timing on the RAM and increase the voltage on the GPU and all problems with Warzone disappeared. 

If you have your computer overclocked in some way, test it using default settings.

0 Likes

My pc has never been overclocked.
I'm testing the CPU now with Linpack but the temps are somehow high (97.75°C maximum) but it seems to be a little over the AMD's recommanded limits for this CPU.

0 Likes

LeTitige_0-1708873682232.png

Here are the results.

Maybe there is an application causing the problem?
Are you using MSI Aterburner? If so, turn it off.
I'll also try selective start, only the necessary applications. This can be set in MSConfig

msconfig1.jpg

0 Likes

Hi,
The only app I use is Adrenalin.
I'm not using other apps that can modify some hardware specs.

0 Likes

I didn't mean applications that interfere with hardware, but in general, sometimes certain applications can cause system instability when combined with games. Therefore, I recommend trying to run a clean system with selective start.

0 Likes
xt1032
Adept I

Uncheck fast timing in memory timing in ur Tuning profile. Had crashes, black screens and this solved my problem. Just create custom profile, OC UV if u want but be sure to uncheck fast timing.

I had the same thing. On January drivers, fast timing worked in all games without any problems. In these betas from February, every game crashes the computer with these settings.

Im using PRO Edition and since its working not even thinking about updating

0 Likes

Fast timing is disabled by default on my computer

Sufyan_B
Journeyman III

Experiencing random crashes on an RX 7800 XT can be incredibly frustrating for users, disrupting gaming sessions or other tasks. It's essential to troubleshoot the issue promptly by checking for updated drivers, monitoring temperatures to prevent overheating, and ensuring proper power supply. Seeking assistance from forums or contacting technical support can also provide valuable insights and potential solutions to resolve these crashes and optimize the performance of the graphics card.

0 Likes

Thanks Sufyan for your great complement. It's essential to troubleshoot the issue promptly by checking for updated drivers, monitoring temperatures to prevent overheating, and ensuring proper power supply.

0 Likes
ham41000
Journeyman III

Hopefully You god the answer , but if yu still facing any tech issue you can visit TECHNOLOGY BLOGS . 

0 Likes