cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

radeon64
Journeyman III

Radeon RX Vega 64 won't decode h.265 / HEVC codecs with 5K videos. Despite installing LAV filters, can't enable GPU acceleration.

I am having problems playing 5K h.265 / HEVC Video with a Radeon RX Vega 64 and relatively new system (see below).

• CPU utilization (like 60-70%) in Media Player Classic (MPC).
  • I hit 100% CPU utilization on my Oculus Rift despite 6 cores and 4.6GHZ.  VLC is worse. I installed PotPlayer and get similar results to MPC (60-70% CPU).
  • I have tried to install LAV Codecs and attempt to change video player settings to dump control to the GPU to no avail.
  • I have also read about the Radeon RX Vegas being able to only hardware decode 4K video @ 60hz, so 5K may not be supported?  It seams ridiculous that I couldn't easily play back a video w/ a 6 core 4.6GHZ machine w/ a pricey graphics card.

For example, in MPC I have the following settings:

View-->Options-->Playback-->Output-->DirectShow Video: Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)

Lav Filters set to:

Video Settings->Hardware Decoder to Use: DXVA2 (copy-back) and HD and UHD(4K) are checked along with H.264 and HEVC and HEVC10.

However, Active Hardware Accelerator always displays "<none>".

Any ideas on how to ensure that the Radeon decodes HEVC / h.265 5K files?  The NVIDIA people seem to have no problems and set their Hardware Decoder to NVIDIA CUVID.

5K HEVC File Specifications
Resolution: 5408 x 2704
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (mp42/mp41)
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 30.3 Mb/s
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L6@Main
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding

System Specifications
CPU: Intel i5 8600K @4.60 GHZ (overclocked)
RAM: 16GB
Mobo: MSI Z370 PC PRO
GPU: Radeon RX 64 Vega
Radeon Software Version: 18.9.2

0 Likes
0 Replies