cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

TouchyFilidh
Journeyman III

Radeon r7 430 locking up Windows 10

I recently purchased an HP Prodesk with a Radeon r7v 430 from a private seller. I know it is probably refurbished in some way, but it has a new HD and new install of Windows, so my issues are not related to someone else's baggage. Anyway, I really only want this for two things to start: Blender 3d rendering and playing Neverwinter. When I load a small Blender project, or launch Neverwinter (through Steam) the monitor attached to either the VGA or display port does black, and the computer becomes unresponsive. I can use the on-board video device for both of those if I disable the Radeon. I can use the Radeon for regular work, but it just seems to buckle under any kind of load. If I use one monitor on the Radeon and one on the on-board VGA port, after I launch either program I can see the on-board and I can move the mouse, but nothing reacts.

I have: Disabled the on-board device, updated the Radeon drivers, updated the on-board drivers, uninstalled Windows updates, updated Windows, installed previous drivers for the Radeon. I tried to uninstall the on-board device, and it disappears from the machine but it present again after rebooting. I got GPU-Z and its logging shows no unusual temperature or  GPU load spikes. I can't think of anything else I can try to either resolve this or get a better idea idea of the root cause.

Any help is appreciated. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Best guesses would be a bad gpu or power supply. You could test them with OCCT from ocbase.com and see if you can isolate the problem. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies

Best guesses would be a bad gpu or power supply. You could test them with OCCT from ocbase.com and see if you can isolate the problem. 

0 Likes

Thank you! I hadn't heard of that program, but it sure revealed the issue. The VRAM is the point of failure, so yep, bad card.

Glad to help. That is a super handy piece of free diagnostic software. 

Good Luck!

@TouchyFilidh wrote:

Thank you! I hadn't heard of that program, but it sure revealed the issue. The VRAM is the point of failure, so yep, bad card.

0 Likes