Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nestorr
Adept II

Radeon Pro WX 2100 - VESA Video Mode 103

Setup:

• I'm using a Radeon Pro WX 2100 with an older Dell Optiplex 755.  The Optiplex 755 runs the latest A22 BIOS.

Problem:

• The WX 2100 works perfectly in Windows 10, but it cannot access the Dell's BIOS. 
  • The following error message appears when I try to access the BIOS:
  • "Error: Can't enter Setup. Video Mode 103 is not supported by this video card."
  • I understand VESA 103 is an 800x600x256 mode that is not automatically supported by GCN3 GPUs.

Request:

• Is there a newer VBIOS available that lets the WX 2100 display this video mode (VESA 103)?

Note:

• Some forums suggested installing MSI Afterburner to overcome the problem. I tried it, but it did not work.
0 Likes
1 Solution
nestorr
Adept II

SOLUTION: VESA 103 mode now works with a custom VBIOS to enable it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
amanda2369weaver
Journeyman III

It sounds like you're experiencing a compatibility issue with the Radeon Pro WX 2100 GPU and the Dell Optiplex 755 BIOS, specifically regarding the supported video mode (VESA 103). Unfortunately, the BIOS of the Dell Optiplex 755 may not recognize the video mode supported by the WX 2100, resulting in the error message you mentioned.

As for obtaining a newer VBIOS (Video BIOS) for the Radeon Pro WX 2100 that supports VESA 103 video mode, this would typically be provided by the GPU manufacturer (in this case, AMD). However, GPU VBIOS updates are not as common or readily available as driver updates, and it's unlikely that AMD provides VBIOS updates specifically to address compatibility issues with older BIOS versions of third-party systems.

Here are a few suggestions you could try:

Contact AMD Support: Reach out to AMD's support team and inquire about the compatibility issue with the Dell Optiplex 755 BIOS and the Radeon Pro WX 2100 GPU. While they may not have a VBIOS update specifically for this issue, they may be able to provide further guidance or suggestions.

• Update Dell Optiplex BIOS: Check if there are any BIOS updates available for the Dell Optiplex 755 from Dell's support website. Sometimes BIOS updates include fixes or improvements related to hardware compatibility.
  • Alternative Connection: If possible, try connecting the monitor to the onboard graphics (if available) or a different GPU temporarily to access the BIOS settings. Once you've configured the BIOS settings as needed, you can switch back to the Radeon Pro WX 2100.
  • Explore BIOS Workarounds: Some users have reported success with BIOS workarounds or tweaks to bypass compatibility issues. However, these methods can be risky and may not always work.
  • Consult Forums and Communities: Search for forums or communities where other users may have encountered similar issues with Radeon Pro WX 2100 GPUs and older BIOS versions. They may have found alternative solutions or workarounds that could be helpful.

Ultimately, if none of the above suggestions resolve the issue, you may need to consider alternative solutions, such as using a different GPU or accessing BIOS settings through alternative methods (e.g., remote management tools if available for the Dell Optiplex 755).

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions.  In terms of each point:

• Dell 755 Incompatibility: Correct, the Dell BIOS doesn't recognise the WX 2100 due to the WX 2100 not supporting the VESA 103 mode.
  • Dell 755 BIOS (A22): I'm using the most recent official BIOS for this model (i.e., A22).
  • Alternative Connection: I can only access the Dell BIOS using the onboard Intel graphics when I physically disconnect the WX 2100 from the PC.  I cannot connect the onboard graphics and WX 2100 simultaneously due to shared PCIe lanes.  The Dell BIOS was previously accessible using a GTX card, but this card has since stopped working.  Removing the WX 2100 to access the BIOS is not a practical option for me.
  • Dell 755 BIOS Workarounds: Nothing official is available, and I'm not aware of any modded Dell BIOS on community sites. 
  • AMD Community Fora: Some sites suggested installing MSI Afterburner to patch the missing VESA 103 mode.  I tried it, but it did not work.
  • AMD WX 2100 VBIOS: I'll reach out to @fsadough in case an update is available.
0 Likes

The default VBIOS of WX2100 supports 800x600x8bpp

Use GPU-Z to save the VBIOS and send the image to me OR send an AMDZ-Report so I can see details to WX2100

AMDZ Report
- Please extract the amdz-v339.zip available from https://we.tl/t-KW8oWyfX89
- Run amdz.exe file as an Administrator
- Select Save All and TXT as the output format
- Click on the blue button to save the report
- The .txt file will be saved in the same folder where you extracted the zipped file

Great - thanks for your help!

800x600x8bpp runs in Windows, but it's just not working for the Dell BIOS.

I'll run AMDZ later and will PM the file to you.

0 Likes
nestorr
Adept II

SOLUTION: VESA 103 mode now works with a custom VBIOS to enable it.

0 Likes