cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sadpanda
Journeyman III

Please help! Is my graphics card failing?

This just happened out of the blue. 4k TCL TV connected to rx 6800 graphics card. Said "HDMI disconnected" during game. Restarted PC, it starts in 1440p and can't change resolution (greyed out).

My graphics drivers were destroyed. Settings were missing in AMD software. The screen looked like crap. HDR was unavailable. I reinstalled AMD software and now everything is working correctly for now. 

Please, does anyone know why this would happen? Is there a way to narrow down if my graphics card needs to be returned?

0 Likes
1 Reply

It could have been your AMD driver was corrupted and after you installed it again it fixed the issues or possibly a power issue from the PSU or Windows corruption or Windows Update installed a different AMD driver than the one your install.

Keep using the PC and see if the issue comes back again. If it works normally for a week or longer using your PC than the GPU card should be okay.

Run this simple line command in a elevated Command  Prompt/Powershell to check your Windows OS installation:

SFC /scannow

To check your GPU card to make sure it isn't going bad I would download and run OCCT GPU, CPU, & PSU tests. This will stress out the GPU card and if it is going bad it either will stop the OCCT stress test or your PC will crash or shut down.

Also run the CPU and especially the PSU Test which runs both the CPU and GPU Stress test at the same time putting maximum stress on the PSU.

During all the OCCT tests keep a close eye on Temperatures, Fan Speeds, & PSU Outputs (3.3/5.0/12 Vdc).

Can you upload a image of GPU-Z to see if the AMD Driver is working correctly and it showing the correct data for your GPU card?

0 Likes