cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ledruide24519
Journeyman III

Optimizing Vega Frontier + MBP 2019 2.6 Ghz + Blender 2.8

So I have this Vega Frontier with a Sonnet ( just for a smoother viewport with complex scenes) and I'm trying to get the best out of it in Blender. It works fine but it's not impressively fine ! I ticked "prefer Egpu" and I can see the vega Frontier activity in the Activity Monitor but the difference with the 4gb integrated gpu is quite small. 4x more Ram should make the viewport crazy smooth but it doesn't. One single high poly tree with his leaves in a new scene and it's lagging and takes 1 sec to load every frame. Does Blender use all the Vega power and if not, what can i do to make it better ?

0 Likes
1 Reply
ledruide24519
Journeyman III

Hey, thanks for the reply. Do you mean in system > cycles render device ? Anyways it says of course "no device for path tracing, cycles will render on CPU" because I'm on Mac. As I mentioned when navigating in the viewport, I can see that the Vega is running full on in the activity monitor so it is detected and it works but it seems odd that 32 Gb of ram + a Vega Frontier can't handle a single oak tree with his leaves smoothly when switching to lookdev or rendered. I already set the viewport sampling to 16 but is there any other settings that could be tweaked? Maybe in memory and limits...? I'm pretty sure it's a dumb simple thing but I can't find the solution and it's kind of frustrating considering the investment...

Also these blender crashes and slow viewport render frame rate with RadeonProRender (compared to cycles) are still a mystery! Even when everything is up-to-date.

The thing that work incredibly good is the rendering with RPR and the Vega. Very fast and pretty. Love it 

0 Likes