cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Gazamonk
Journeyman III

New MB and now shows a second GPU (only RX580 fitted) in device manager that cannot install driver

Installed a new Gigabyte B650M Dsh3 and Ryzen 7600 CPU. Put back my existing Radeon RX580. Reinstalled a clean set of Drivers but Windows 10 Device manager shows a second GPU under Display Adapters that has a generic windows driver installed to it (Windows Basic Display Adapter.)
Windows reports that no drivers on the system are compatible with it. 
What is this second display adaptor? Can I just disable it? Confused 

Properties show it in the events section as not migrated. Is this something on my HD from my previous MB/Processor installation? (I didn't do a clean install of Windows when I fitted the new MB/Processor)

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_164E&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_C6\4&16012499&0&0041 was not migrated due to a partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B1&SUBSYS_2358148C&REV_80\4&bab4994&0&0008
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFE280F122
Present: false

0 Likes
2 Replies
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Hopefully, you've got full backups of your data.  If you don't, make a backup from the system as is.

As to your actual problem, there are at least two issues:  first, unless you have a full, retail license of Windows (not OEM), you won't be able to re-activate your old license on your new hardware.  As far as Microsoft is concerned, new motherboard = new computer (to say nothing of also having a new CPU).  And, the OEM version of Windows is limited to one computer.  Here's a link talking about that and some things to try:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how-to-replace-a-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows-10/ 

If you do have a full, retail license, with such a massive change to the hardware, I'd recommend wiping that old install and doing a clean install.  You can grab a copy here (I'd suggest doing your own search for that location and not trusting mine):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

Or, try:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/give-your-pc-a-fresh-start-0ef73740-b927-549b-b7c9-e6f2b... 

As for getting your existing installation to work, about the only thing I can suggest is going to Device Manager and deleting everything there.  Reboot and run Windows Update until the blood runs clear, then install all your drivers again.  But, I really would NOT recommend it.  And, of course, after making sure of your data backup.

EDIT:  oh, and since it's a new motherboard, update it's BIOS to the newest version from your manufacturer, reset it to defaults, and then set it to how you want it.  Then head into Windows and try all the above (except the backup -- get that backup first).

0 Likes
Gazamonk
Journeyman III

Thanks for the suggestions. Found the solution. As said above by ardankyaosen, there were definitely driver issues and trying to retain the previous Windows installation was a real pain (It was a fully licensed copy btw, so no worries there) but I persevered and i now have a (so far) stable working computer. This was compounded I'm sure by the previous MB/CPU Combo being way older and Intel (I know! Shoot me now). So there were initially a lot of restarts and I had been fastidious in deleting old drivers, cleaning the registry etc before fitting the new kit.  However, the main issue per the original query turned out to be the integrated GPU on the chip which was not working at all well with the PCIe-installed RX580 graphics card. I hadn't done my research properly and had assumed that my Ryzen 7600 had no integrated GPU and it was only the 7600x that did. (this turned out to be the second Display adaptor showing up in Device Manager which was causing the issue). So I deleted it fom Device Manager, rebooted, entered the Bios and disabled the integrated onchip GPU. Once I did this the computer wouldn't even boot. WHAT!!! Much gnashing of teeth, cursing and many restarts later I eventually had to disconnect everything from the motherboard and rebbot with just hte Monitor connected to get back in to the Bios and successfully reset to optimised defaults, then disable the integrated onchip GPU, reconnect all the drives, Graphics card etc and then thankfully it booted back to windows.
Long story short,
Main Aim : I achieved my goal of retaining my previous build of windows without doing a full reinstall and  having to put back all my installed programs.
Time Taken: All in all about 20 hours over 2 days (felt like twice that)
Lesson Learned:  Just start fresh when changing hardware. Back up your important Data and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows.

Every day is a school day.