cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Bugger104
Adept I

Need advice with a video card upgrade.

I want to upgrade from my Nvidia GeForce GT 710 because of the problems with video drivers on my Linux box.

I don't play games and don't run heavy graphics tasks, I use my box for general work and content creation like audio/video editing.

Currently I have be quiet! 400W System Power PSU and do not want to invest in PSU upgrade.

I'm looking into Radeon RX 6500 XT with 4Gb or 8Gb VRAM, since it seems like my PSU can handle it.

I would spend around 200 EUR on a video card, and It's ok for me to go with the older card that is not produced any more, since I see that a lot of cards (both used and new) are still available on the market.

Any suggestion is valuable.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
7 Replies

Using a 400 watt PSU is difficult to find a good AMD GPU Card that is still supported.

Found these AMD GPU cards from various websites concerning Low Power GPU Cards:

Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 WINDFORCE OC 4G

Gigabyte Radeon RX 550 Gaming OC 2G

MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC

XFX SPEEDSTER SWFT105 RADEON RX 6400 Gaming Graphics Card with 4GB GDDR6, AMD RDNA™ 2

AMD Radeon RX 6600

AMD Radeon™ RX 6500 XT

AMD Radeon™ RX 5300

All those AMD GPU cards require a Minimum PSU of 400 watts or less. The best choice would be the RX 5300, RX 6400 or RX 6500 or RX 6600 which is still fully supported by AMD Drivers. Need to check to make sure there are Linux drivers for the GPU card also.

Go here to see if those GPU cards have linux drivers or not: https://www.amd.com/en/support/download/drivers.html

All RX 400 through 600 series GPU cards still have "limited support" from AMD.

NOTE: Generally a GPU card with more vRAM might also require a higher PSU wattage so make sure to search for the specs of the GPU card you are interested in to make sure it needs a minimum 400 watts PSU requirement or not.

Do you thing RX 6600 will be stable with 400W PSU?

0 Likes

RX6600 requires a minimum of 450W but if you are willing to underclock&power limit the card inside adrenalin, i believe you could get away with it.

That card draws on average about 120W which is not that much, taking into consideration that you don't play  any games, its very possible to get away with it.

But I can't guarantee it. That will seriously depend on your PSU quality and CPU installed.

The Englishman

adrenaline, gives you the ability to adjust the consumption of your video card, both in general. and separately for components - memory. processor. But, in the case when you experiment with lowering the voltage or put the video card on a diet, no one will promise you performance and stability. for $ 200, you can buy a used 600-watt power supply and a video card, you just need to spend time and search.

i5-13400/ asrock Z790 PG Lightning D4 /32 GBytes DDR4 3200 Hynix/ ASRock 7700xt Phantom Gaming OC/ 1000w gold

AMD does mention it needs a 450 Watt PSU minimally.

So possibly under heavy loads you may end up with power issues.

Do you have a budget for purchasing computer hardware like a PSU?

Go to PCPARTPICKER website "Power Supplies" and there is a large listing of PSUs from less than $100.00 Gold rated and over 600 Watts: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/

NOTE: if you decide to upgrade your PSU make sure to read the Reviews on the PSU you are planning to purchase to make sure it is good High Quality PSU and will meet your needs.

In regards to video editing, the RX64/6500 series may not be suitable due to some unsupported rendering formats.

6500 formats.png

This is why the Record & Stream function in not included in the adrenaline software for those card models.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
Bugger104
Adept I

Thank you all for your replies!

Your advises really helped, I went through available offers once again, overthink my requirements, played with some PSU calculators, and seems like I will go with Radeon RX 570, it is cheaper than RX 6400, but has comparable performance and more rendering formats.

0 Likes