CrunchyPotato
Journeyman III

My RX480 is probably failing

CPU: Phenom 2 x6 1055t

Ram: 8 GB DDR3

Graphics: RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB

PSU: Thermaltake 850 Watt RGB

HDD: 1000GB WD

I got my RX 480 about 3 1/2 years ago for a good price (new) but my system was already too slow for most games because of my CPU and Ram so I only used my RX 480 for a very short period of time before I got a Laptop and a Xbox One X.

Now I was thinking of giving my pc a upgrade because the RX 480 still seems to be pretty good for 1080P gaming. I resurrected my old PC, mainly because I finally wanted to play Sekiro and thats a game even my CPU should handle just fine.

At the beginning (after removing all old and installing the newest driver + Windows update) everything was working relatively well, at 1080P I was not getting steady 60 FPS but it was close and ran on MAX settings. I could even game on 1440P with pretty good FPS. The card was throttling a bit but the temps where fine and I did not change anything in Wattman. 

Yesterday, after only 9 hours total of playing Sekiro in 2 Days, when I started Sekiro I just got a green screen and my system got very slow. I first checked if this was a problem with Sekiro and used a very old game (Burnout Paradise) which at least started normal but took forever to load and eventually froze up. When trying to close it my PC was extremely slow again. In the end I got some artifacts and eventually the resolution changed to 1240x720 and I got something that looked like a CRT without signal.

I thought my card is dead but after restarting windows loads up just fine without any artifacts. Is my card fried or could it be another thing?

It would be really sad to see a card die in 9 hours when I barely used it 3 years ago. Especially with the current market situation...

0 Likes
1 Reply
borisp20
Journeyman III

Man I'm having the same problem , I played wow and then I did disconnect rdp , pc crashed, then in evening after green screen it died completely it can't start windows with the card connected

0 Likes