cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Vuawn
Journeyman III

Lagging/Stuttering, and long transition animations.

After building my new PC, I've installed my Ryzen 7900 CPU, 2 Z5 Trident RAM Cards, 750W Corsair 750e PSU and my 3 year old Asrock Challenger 6700XT GPU onto my new MSI MPG B650i itx Motherboard. I installed all the drivers, done a CLEAN install of all drivers and so far everything has worked. I would get 180+ FPS in ultra settings on GTA and would run buttery smooth. But after a little while, I started getting event code 19 on Event viewer. My first issue was the PC rebooting itself after long game session on GTA 5. It sounded like the GPU fans were also going 100% while this happened. Then after some time, when I restart the system, the PC would suddenly start getting super slow and I mean like 5fps. Cursor would be slow, BIOS would have these long transition screens and would glitch somewhat too. Loading circle animations were sluggish and when I got to the windows desktop, it would still be lagging horribly. Other times, I can restart the PC and it'll fix itself. Like start being fast and normal again. GTA would still run over 180 FPS. But then I ran into games crashing after long game sessions. So I'd restart the system again and sure enough, it's back to being slow and sluggish again. A couple times I played a game, the GPU fans would be ramping up, GPU would be at 99 usage and would have these long stutters but the desktop and OS seemed normal and quick still when exiting the game. But it's when I restart, that's when it'll start lagging again for some reason. After a lot of cable management change,  checking CPU and socket for damage, Cooler tightness, PSU, different RAM modules, absolutely everything, it would still be lagging badly. It started getting to the point where the system would lag all the time now even after restarting, it wouldn't fix itself anymore. I even tried a new SSD and same issue. After a lot of trial and error, I've came to the conclusion that it could be the PSU or GPU. I actually did not think it would be the GPU but after some thought, I finally tried taking it out and replacing it. I had an old GPU that's half the size of the one I have that doesn't require any PCIe power just plug and play. I installed that old GPU in I've had lying around and after that... BAM! No lag WHATSOEVER. PC BIOS is snappy again, booting is quick again, Mouse cursor was fast, and windows OS worked great again. After many restarts, the system stayed the same. Was always quick and snappy after installing that old GPU I've had. I couldn't believe that it was the GPU after all that time. I honestly have no idea what was so wrong with my Asrock Radeon 6700 XT Challenger but it seems good again so I'm not complaining. I wanna know if anyone else has experienced this and does anyone know what could have been the problem with my PC not liking my Radeon GPU? I would be grateful for some answers. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vuawn
Journeyman III

I found the problem related to the issue. A faulty PCIe riser extender for my graphics card. I removed it and inserted the graphics card in without the extender and ever since, it has been working flawlessly for a week now. For whom is reading this and has the same issue, check your PCIe slots or extenders. Make sure the graphics card is not sagging.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Vuawn
Journeyman III

I found the problem related to the issue. A faulty PCIe riser extender for my graphics card. I removed it and inserted the graphics card in without the extender and ever since, it has been working flawlessly for a week now. For whom is reading this and has the same issue, check your PCIe slots or extenders. Make sure the graphics card is not sagging.

0 Likes