cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cplifj
Elite

How to choose what display output is the first at boot time ?

I would like to know so that i can finally set whatever display i want to be used at boot time / bios screen.

In fact , it somehow always manages to choose the wrong display as boot - screen on purpose, since it has shown this behavior before. There was a time it always chose the HDMI output and then it changed and started to choose the DP port as first.

But how do i set this myself??? 

The fact this is still not possible after all the years is an abomination. Why is there no bios option setting for this?

0 Likes
5 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

If your MOBO has integrated graphics or display ports upon first boot of build that will always be your default first boot video source.

If your not running an APU and your MOBO has neither integrated graphics or a display port then your GPU will be the default video source.

As for choosing your display output in BIOS that will be determined by your motherboard BIOS version and what functionality it allows.

Sometime under advanced options and PCIE peripherals some BIOS will allow you to choose a different boot up video source it really depends on your MOBO brand and BIOS version.  

0 Likes

Man, you did not understand the question at all.

It's not about the adapter , that can be set in bios since ever which one to boot from.

I want to be able to set any attached monitor from the chosen first boot graphics card as the one that is being used to display the pre-os boot info on.

So i want to be able to set which monitor attached should be the number one to display this pre-os/boot info on.

Do you understand it better now ? English ? Do you speak it ??

0 Likes

LMAO, I created an account specifically because I am also looking for an answer to this. To elaborate: With a multi-monitor setup, it appears that Display Port is the favored output on the card - This is terrible when the monitor connected to that port is oriented upside down, left, or right and I need to load into the BIOS to change a setting. When my primary monitor is HDMI (I use this to capture video output), it's really annoying that there's no way to force, say HDMI port (2) to be the default in the graphics card itself or like cplifj said, have an option to change it in the BIOS.

The only current way to force this is to unplug every monitor except for the primary HDMI one you want to use. Then, as it scans the for the monitors that are connected, it will choose that one and load the pre-os boot info on the screen. You have to do this every time. Otherwise it just defaults back to display port.

I think we both hope that in the future there would be a way to change the default port on the graphics card itself or at the very least in the BIOS.

Same issue here. No matter which port I use it always seems to default to one of my vertical monitors. The only way I can get it on the horizontal one is to unplug the others.. Frustrating.

0 Likes

It's just the way it works for nvidia and amd. The ports are enumerated in the same order, and first screen in the list is primary. Now in windows you can assign which monitor is primary, but that is the OS.

0 Likes