cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kraiord
Adept I

Heavy visual artifacts in popular rhythm game osu!, please help

Issue Description: In the popular rhythm game osu! artifacts appear frequently in the form of horizontal black or white lines making the game unplayable.
The artifacts look exactly like this Screen Artifacting - YouTube only the game is different.
Even after a fresh installation of Windows 10 1903 and the latest AMD drivers 19.9.2 the issue persists, but with a fresh installation of Windows 7 and the latest AMD drivers the problem is gone.

Hardware:
GPU: R9 Fury X
CPU: 
AMD FX-6100
RAM: 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1600 CL9
Motherboard: GA-990XA-UD3
PSU: Zalman ZM-1200-EBT

The issue seems to be related to the Windows 10 drivers for Fiji based cards, since with an R9 270 the artifacts were gone, but when I tried a completely different Fury card the artifacts were still there.
This problem has been driving me crazy over an year now. Support for Windows 7 is ending soon and I cannot upgrade to Windows 10 with this issue present because it would mean that I wouldn't be able to play one of my favorite games, please help!

0 Likes
1 Solution
kraiord
Adept I

I found a workaround for this, osu! has a compatibility mode which changes the renderer to OpenGL. With OpenGL the artifacts are gone. This is not exactly a solution but it works for me.
Also I'm not sure this is relevant but I thought I should mention it, I made sure to install Windows 10 with Legacy boot mode because of my old motherboard as well.
Overall I'm still not sure why it artifacts in the game by default when it doesn't do that in Windows 7 but since I can now play the game without any artifacts, I'll count this problem as resolved

Thanks for the help!!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Well, you seemed to have proven that it is a problem with Windows 10 since both Drivers are the same for Windows 10 & 7, at least in version numbers.

On the Youtube video, the only thing I saw was some intermittent flashing for about a half second. Is that what you are talking about?

Try installing a Previous R9 Fury X AMD Driver and see if the problem still happens from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-fury-ser... 

It is possible the latest AMD Driver is having some bug with the Windows 10 OS.  IF the problem persists after installing an older previous driver then you should open a Online AMD SERVICE REQUEST and see what they recommend from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Make sure you use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to uninstall the current AMD Driver in Safe Mode without the internet connected. Then install the previous Driver with the internet still disconnected. Once you have successfully installed the AMD Driver reconnect the Internet.

0 Likes

I've already tried DDU with the windows auto installation disabled and with no internet in safe mode.
The first time I encountered this is when I first tried switching to Windows 10 back in October of 2018 and this was still an issue then with the latest drivers as it is now. Since then I've tried going to Windows 10 with the latest drivers 4 more times to see if it has been fixed but without any luck.
I'll see if I can record the artifacting myself, but it is very similar to what I send in the video.
I probably will end up opening a service request, thank you for the recommendation!

0 Likes

Good idea.

By the way, if the artifacts ONLY OCCURS with the one game, then it may be a problem with the game itself. I would check for updated patches that may fix your problem. If the artifacts occurs all the time or with all games then it may be a Windows 10 / AMD Driver issue.

0 Likes

Ok, I recorded the issue. Here is a link to the video of the problem R9 Fury Artifacting in osu! on Windows 10 - YouTube  and a still frame on the artifact https://i.imgur.com/t54bfeB.jpg.
It really is hard to capture on camera but sometimes they also appear black or white.
I'm not exactly sure if it is just osu! that has the problem because I cannot really notice it in other games, but due to the nature of the game it is really noticeable in osu! specifically.
I thought I might have a defective Fury card at first but a friend told me he had the exact same problem so he gave me his Fury X and bought himself a completely different card. Now I've had both Fury cards to test this on and both exhibit the same behavior.

0 Likes
kraiord
Adept I

I found a workaround for this, osu! has a compatibility mode which changes the renderer to OpenGL. With OpenGL the artifacts are gone. This is not exactly a solution but it works for me.
Also I'm not sure this is relevant but I thought I should mention it, I made sure to install Windows 10 with Legacy boot mode because of my old motherboard as well.
Overall I'm still not sure why it artifacts in the game by default when it doesn't do that in Windows 7 but since I can now play the game without any artifacts, I'll count this problem as resolved

Thanks for the help!!