cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Raptyy
Adept I

GPU only posts sometimes

Sometimes when booting up my pc the white led on my mobo is constantly on and there is no display. However sometimes (like right now) it does display properly. I quite literally have no clue whats going on. It wasn't working last night, then this morning it was working. I'd appreciate any ideas and answers! Also, the only way I can turn off my computer is holding down the power button on my tower which leads to the "windows didn't launch properly" when it finally works.

Mobo: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), RM750

12 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried removing and reseating the GPU?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

I have not, but would that even solve my issue? The issue is only occasional but I will try anyway!

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Sometimes debris like dust can cause issues and reseating could help clear it out. It's really a shot in the dark but sometimes this does work.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
Vynski
Exemplar

It sounds a bit like some corrupt files in the OS.  

I'm assuming that you have reset the BIOS, updated the BIOS, and all drivers, chipset, etc.

Have you tried uninstalling the chipset drivers then reboot and let Windows do what it does and then reinstall them.

Did you get a CD with the motherboard with drivers on it or did you have to download them to a USB?  Also is this a new issue that has sprung up or has it been an issue from the first post?  Listen for beep codes on POST they will tell you what component has the issue

If you can install a different GPU and see what happens, that would be my first suggestion.

Please don't forget to test the monitor as well and don't do what I didn't do.  

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

apologies for the last reply,

I've updated all the divers ect. And this has been an issue for a long time, but has progressively gotten worse because I didnt know how to fix it. I've gotten new RAM, a new mobo, and a new psu but it still happens. So the white LED on my mobo means the vga/gpu didn't post so I guess that rules out cpu?

I don't have another gpu to try with but I could try using integrated graphics. It's quite strange because I will have no display for an entire day but the next day when I try it works perfectly normal. It's honestly getting frustrating, should I just buy a whole new gpu?? I could use an upgrade anyway. 

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

The Ryzen 5 3600 as well as the mainline Ryzen CPUs so the x600, x700, x800, x900, and x950 CPUs do not have integrated graphics. You would need a Ryzen APU for that.

If the GPU is the problem and it is under warranty I would RMA it, provided you can troubleshoot and isolate the issue to the GPU.

With all you have replaced it could be the CPU as sometimes a faulty CPU could cause unreliable and unstable machine operation, but with the LED stopping on VGA I would lean toward the GPU being the issue. 

Do you have a friend that will let you test the GPU on their system?

0 Likes

I know someone who I can test another gpu with, I'll update you when I can, but they don't live nearby so it might take a while.

0 Likes

Don't go that route so quickly.  Trust me, we all know how frustrating computers can be.  Sometimes you just want to scream.

Make sure it is not the motherboard PCIe socket  The RX 580 is a PCIe 3 socket card so try it in another socket.  If it still causes the problem at least you have ruled that out.

Next make sure it is not the monitor going bad.  I went through the same thing a couple of years ago.  Turned the computer on the next morning and all I got was a black screen.  Well the my Athlon 9590 CPU was getting some age on it and I just new it or the motherboard were the culprit.  Ordered new motherboard and Ryzen 2700X CPU built the new system on my testing platform and got the same response, black screen.  Got my wife's 24" monitor and everything worked fine, even the old system.  So please do me a favor and check everything.  Go to your local Walmart or Best Buy and see if they have any used GPU's for sale.  I know Walmart has some that sell for as low as $10, the only thing is you will probably need a DVI cable or at least an adapter, unless you can find an HDMI one.  Get something cheap for testing purpose.  Check with a friend and see if they have one that you could borrow.  You really need to test another GPU to make sure it is not the motherboard.  

I just wish that you lived close enough to bring it to me, where we could try all of this and find the issue.  I've got test motherboards, GPU's, some Athlon CPU's, DDR3 RAM, cables galore, and that's after a major recycling we did a few months back.

I tested my monitor and it works perfectly fine, It's not the socket either. I will test with another gpu tho.

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

How many CPU Power ports are on the B550M motherboard.  MSI has 2 CPU power ports at least on the MPG and MEG series, although they differ in number of pns.  The MPG has 1 8pin  and 1 4pin where the MEG has 2 8pin.  You with an Adept I ranking, I am assuming you have the CPU PWR ports plugged in.  They are more critical than many users realize.

0 Likes

I believe its my gpu as the cpu power ports aren't an issue.

0 Likes
loki1944
Adept II

have you tried a different display/input like hdmi instead of displayport  or vice-versa?

0 Likes