cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Mr_R
Adept I

GPU not fully utilized in VR (RX 7900 XTX)

Because https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/7900xtx-low-performance-in-steamvr-and-vr-in-general/m-p/61764... has been closed and @Matt_AMD asked to make a new topic for specific problems, I'm opening this one. If I missed an already ongoing subject with the same issue I apologize and I would be happy to receive the link to the ongoing topic, so I can continue posting my issues there.

Here is my issue:

The newest driver (23.7.1) did not resolve all my problems with VR. More specifically, Skyrim and Boneworks are now running great, but Half-Life Alyx and "No Man's Sky" are not good at all (NMS is unplayable).

As I know, that No Man's Sky is poorly optimized for VR, I would focus on HL Alyx.

Observations in HL Alyx:

Since the last Driver Update (23.7.1) when starting the game and in the main menu I'm mostly achieving the max. FPS possible (90 FPS with an HP reverb G2).

Before the patch I didn't even get the 90 FPS while loading the game and in the main menu. So I see an improvement here.

Now here comes the kicker, when loading into the game (story of the game) the FPS sometimes start at 90 and drop to 45 to 50 FPS.

Sometimes I am able to get the FPS up to 90 again (by going into the performance settings and changing them) but after a few seconds, it drops again to 45 FPS.

When looking at the GPU utilization it is at 60% when only getting the 45 FPS and it is at 90% when reaching the 90 FPS.

The astonishing part is, when looking at the clock speed, the GPU is only at 1.3 GHZ, so it is not even fully boosting the clocks when running the game [ :-/]

In the Adrenaline Software, only my main monitor is selectable (visible). My Headset is not visible. Windows recognizes both, my main display and my Headset when playing in VR.

I feel like the solution is so close. The drivers "only" have to recognize, that the game is running in VR (Headset) and not on my main display and therefore the GPU should focus the performance on the Headset and not on the Main-Display/Monitor.

If anyone has the knowledge of how to force HL Alyx to use 100% of my boosted GPU, I would be very thankful for the information.

For the support/help/fixes, I thank you in advance!

My Specs are as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: 7900 XTX

RAM: 32 GB

Win 11 Pro, Build 22621

PSU: 1000 W

VR Headset: HP reverb G2 (V.2)

1 Solution
Mr_R
Adept I

Today I tried to make Half Life Alyx work again. I have been using fpsVR to monitor the performance. I guess I had something wrong in my settings as I set the Resolution to "Custom" and 100% --> changing it back to "Auto" set it to 150% and HLA is running great, the gpu is boosting correctly Finally, it is working.

I guess the new drivers had VR fixed but my settings in fpsVR messed everything up.

This topic can be closed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Mr_R
Adept I

Today I tried to make Half Life Alyx work again. I have been using fpsVR to monitor the performance. I guess I had something wrong in my settings as I set the Resolution to "Custom" and 100% --> changing it back to "Auto" set it to 150% and HLA is running great, the gpu is boosting correctly Finally, it is working.

I guess the new drivers had VR fixed but my settings in fpsVR messed everything up.

This topic can be closed.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

THE PROBLEM IS SKYRIM IS OLD! 

you see.. AMD64 computers and architecture 64bit computing.. is 90's stuff. thats so yesteryear. nowadays just HDR you want like 128bit lighting and other stuff..

So say your GPU is infinitybitdepth because its a RADEON or its 2096 true universal or whatever. if your SKYRIM is NOT MULTITHREADED and isnt coded for MULTICORE and is not optimized or compiled for any specific computer hardware.. its going to give you 10% of a single piece of a single piece of a single core of your GPU.. you dont wanna know how very  very very little of not ever using your ryzen computer it will do.

its how how stupid **bleep**s dont know how to code and use cash register garbage software apps and code like intel and nvidia do called C++ and make a heap of fake things to pretend its not the **bleep**tiest thing ever and pretend to convert it to real computing. REAL COMPUTERS like the cheapest 70's and 80's AMD processors and graphics would let a missile or rocket chase down a 3x the speed of sound fighter jet and let the rockets guidance radiation true light particle sonar/radar data such high resolution thousands of FPS DNA quality medical imaging that it could zoom in on a enemy pilot and laser surgery on their eyeballs DNA quality then rocket up the pilots butt to explode him with some cheap fertilizer based explosives. The computer chip and parts itself are very very very cheap and a hardware thing like a headphone amplifier or CDROM of the 90s.. we just make them more advanced and smaller and more complex with lots more of them more powerful than ever but they need REAL MATHS and real compiling and code. because the most basic of simple $2 pocket calculators or digital alarm clocks and microwave ovens and stereo equalizers and things would use the most basic and simple of maths 1+1 2+2 and that same maths can be used to run pretend code for cash registers that might have database/website software in them.. You probably havent seen a real computer.. see those black and white war photos of submarines that have no windows yet see the whole ocean or more at once clear as day? using true audio radiation data the sonar ping is often a radiactive thingy taking a snapshot of the whole earth okay? 

so if you are using intel or nvidia anything and not using all AMD you bought from AMD with probably all samsung stuff  you bought from samsung or other companies lisa su consults with like SONY you might have a very hard time using little of anything.

0 Likes