cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

swisstom
Journeyman III

Flickering Name Labels (Overlay) in MS Teams

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 3 with AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 6850U with Radeon Graphics 8 cores. However, based on reports in other forums, it seems to affect other AMD graphics cards as well and seems to be quite common.

Basically everything works correctly. Only in MS Teams ("New Teams" App on Windows 11)  I have a strong flickering of the Name Label Overly over the video image of a participating person. Especially in group calls, significant parts of the screen flicker, which is very tiring.

I have already tried many things to solve the problem - without success:
- Driver updated
- BIOS updated
- AMD Adrendaline installed
- Switch off GPU in Teams
- etc.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the nameplate flickering in MS Teams and what I can do about it? Thanks!

2 Replies
RandomName645
Journeyman III

IT Provider here, I'm using a new HP EliteBook 645 that blows the equivalent Intel out of the water - absolutely loving my return to AMD!

But as above, I cannot sell these laptops to customers because that flashing name in a Teams meeting is going to just cause me complaints - and with evidently no fix available, it's going to cost me returns.

Graphics Driver is AMD Radeon Graphics, Version 31.0.21018.23005 - currently the latest available from HP.

This has been a problem for months and is not an isolated case: Name Labels Flashing Blinking in MS Teams video calls - Microsoft Community

AMD, if you want the corporate/enterprise markets to consider your equipment a viable alternative to the Intel monopoly you need to jump on issues like this and get them fixed.

Microsoft can get away with faults like this unfixed for months - because there's practically no alternative. But when you're trying to BE the alternative, you need to provide a smooth experience with no problems. It may seem small, but this is an absolute dealbreaker for most corporate customers.

swisstom
Journeyman III

Thank you for confirming the problem.

It's really a mystery to me why nobody can get to grips with the problem of the flickering name tags on the user videos.

I can understand the previous speaker: A business device with such a problem in MS Teams is an imposition. And obviously a lot of people suffer from it.

So please: Take a look at the name overlays in New Teams. They flicker like crazy. And there is no way to fix the problem if you have AMD graphics cards.

0 Likes