cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

3thanguy7
Adept I

Extremely Cursed RX 6700 XT Fullscreen Gaming Issue

I've posted about this problem before, but I recently had my graphics card repaired by the distributor and fully factory reset my PC and the problems persisted.

When I run any of a number of 3D (and occasionally high-performance 2D) games in fullscreen, they launch into a black screen (or sometimes a frozen loading menu), freeze, and require a task manager kill. However, once I have killed the program, it persists in task manager so steam (or occasionally epic, this is not a steam problem) thinks it is still running. Then, if I launch task manager again to kill steam and relaunch safely, task manager hangs, requiring me to restart my computer. 

This, unbelievably, is a graphics card issue; or at least it is a problem primarily caused by my graphics card. I know this because if I launch a game on my integrated graphics on my CPU (AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics), they will usually run fine (note the usually: this does not fix a choice few games, but it fixes the vast majority, about 18/20 that I've tried). From there, I can usually switch a game to windowed mode, then safely relaunch on my actual graphics card. 

This problem has dogged me for months after finally building a PC, and I am no closer to finding any systemic solution. As mentioned, a few months ago I sent my graphics card in for repairs & they sent me a repaired/replaced model: a full reinstallation of the card did not fix my problem. Just today I also performed a full factory reset of my machine: this also did not fix my problem. I have scoured forums, I have sent support requests, nothing I have received has helped. My machine has no other problems besides this, so I do not believe it to be a hardware issue beyond the card (though I'll have someone examine my machine in the next few days to verify that). 

Does anybody have any possible solutions, or another forum which might be able to solve this problem? None of the solutions I've encountered on this or other forums have helped.

Specs:

• Windows 11
  • RX 6700 XT
  • Crucial RAM DDR5 CT16G56C46U5
  • Ryzen 5 7600 6-Core
  • MSI PRO B650-P WiFi ProSeries Motherboard
0 Likes
1 Solution
432hz
Challenger

Fullscreen only issue is indeed cursed. Sounds like it might be a mobo / GPU issue.

Few questions:

1. What kind of monitor are you using and does it have Activesync/Freesync/Gsync?
  2. Have you verified the cable you're using is compatible with the features you're using on the monitor (DP 1.4 etc)?
  3. Have you installed any drivers required for the monitor?
  4. Is your monitor connected to your GPU or your mobo?
  5. By "full factory reset of your machine" do you mean completely formatting your Windows drive and reinstalling?
  6. What version of BIOS are you running?
  7. What version of GPU drivers are you running?

In addition to what @cpurpe91 mentioned, you can try each of the following and retest.

1. Verify your GPU is connected with separate PSU cables (not daisy chained).
  2. Verify your RAM kit is on your mobo's QVL list for your CPU.
  3. Disable XMP/EXPO
  4. Verify your RAM is good with MemTest86
  5. Ensure you download your chipset drivers from AMD's site, not your mobo's site
  6. Disable MPO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_xv1Id6UM
  7. Disable GameBarPresenceWriter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5JUzK-sRm0
  8. Disable Resizable BAR in BIOS
  9. If none of the above work, try DDU / AMD Cleanup Utility to remove current drivers and try an older version like 23.12.1 or 23.11.x -- there are lots of reports here of issues with 24.x.x.
  10. You can also try a "Drivers Only" install of the GPU drivers to rule out Adrenalin

I had to disable Resizable BAR in BIOS and install 23.12.1 for good stability on my RX 6800 / 12600k system. On 24.x.x with Resizable BAR enabled, I was getting intermittent BIOS stutters, benchmark hard stutters, random Windows lag, etc

View solution in original post

5 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Try this Solved: How to stop updates for drivers with Windows Updat... - AMD Community and this Windows Update Replacing AMD Adrenalin Drivers? FIX it in 2 minutes! - YouTube 

After doing the above, try using DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility to remove any drivers Windows may have installed during the initial Windows updates that happen when you first reinstall the OS. Windows has this driver that installs on most AMD GPUs that does not work properly. 

After removing those old GPU drivers, download the drivers for your GPU from AMD. Do not use the auto detect tool. It is broken for most users.

Once you have the correct drivers, disable MPO. Nvidia has a download link for the registry file. 

If this does not work, try repeating the DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility step, and using a different GPU in the same PCIE slot. It could be that the PCIE slot is messed up. 

Another note would be to remember to install the chipset drivers. This could help.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
432hz
Challenger

Fullscreen only issue is indeed cursed. Sounds like it might be a mobo / GPU issue.

Few questions:

1. What kind of monitor are you using and does it have Activesync/Freesync/Gsync?
  2. Have you verified the cable you're using is compatible with the features you're using on the monitor (DP 1.4 etc)?
  3. Have you installed any drivers required for the monitor?
  4. Is your monitor connected to your GPU or your mobo?
  5. By "full factory reset of your machine" do you mean completely formatting your Windows drive and reinstalling?
  6. What version of BIOS are you running?
  7. What version of GPU drivers are you running?

In addition to what @cpurpe91 mentioned, you can try each of the following and retest.

1. Verify your GPU is connected with separate PSU cables (not daisy chained).
  2. Verify your RAM kit is on your mobo's QVL list for your CPU.
  3. Disable XMP/EXPO
  4. Verify your RAM is good with MemTest86
  5. Ensure you download your chipset drivers from AMD's site, not your mobo's site
  6. Disable MPO - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_xv1Id6UM
  7. Disable GameBarPresenceWriter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5JUzK-sRm0
  8. Disable Resizable BAR in BIOS
  9. If none of the above work, try DDU / AMD Cleanup Utility to remove current drivers and try an older version like 23.12.1 or 23.11.x -- there are lots of reports here of issues with 24.x.x.
  10. You can also try a "Drivers Only" install of the GPU drivers to rule out Adrenalin

I had to disable Resizable BAR in BIOS and install 23.12.1 for good stability on my RX 6800 / 12600k system. On 24.x.x with Resizable BAR enabled, I was getting intermittent BIOS stutters, benchmark hard stutters, random Windows lag, etc

I tried a number of these but I was able to fix it by plugging my monitor into my GPU directly and backdating my drivers to 23.12.1. Thank you so much!

Great! Enjoy

0 Likes
JohWill
Adept II

Few things you should check.  Bios update, reset settings to default.  DDR 5 speeds might be to fast or a lagging stick.  Resizable bar off    Make sure the card is running 4 at 16x. and set to primary.  Which MB and Which card ?

0 Likes