cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

Monitors randomly lose signal with dual 7900 XTX with 6 monitors

I have 6 monitors that will individually lose signal and turn off at random. It mostly occurs when I move a window to a different monitor, and then it seems to crash. If I'm not using the computer, they won't turn off. Even if I leave games on each monitor, the monitors won't turn off. They only turn off while using the computer.

The monitors are all using 8k display port cables, but I have tried with 2 other brand cables. The monitors can run up to 1080p at 240Hz, but I have tried various Hz from 59.94, 119.98, 239.76, 60, and more, and they all do it.

This problem started on Windows 10, so I installed Ubuntu 24 and the problem persists. Ubuntu is using the Mesa drivers, and I haven't been able to get the AMD drivers working. Given that the problem occurs on Windows 10 AND the Mesa drivers, it seems that the AMD driver wouldn't resolve it anyway (though, I'll still try to get it working so I can rule it out entirely).

This same computer was originally running 3x 4k 42" monitors at 60 hz fine for a long time on Windows. I switched to the 6 monitor setup, and it seemed to work for a week, and then the monitor problem started. I have read that HDMI cables can be susceptible to interference from ethernet/power cables, so I tried to separate them as much as possible, but that also did nothing. I am using Display Port and not HDMI, but I'm trying everything.

Of course I've tried unplugging all the display ports, plugging back in, ensuring everything is connected well, etc.

I don't know what else I can do to debug the problem. Any ideas how I could narrow down the source of the issue?

Basic System Specs:

GPUs: 2x 7900 XTX

Monitors: 6x Dell AW2720HF - 1080p up to 240Hz

CPU: AMD 7950X

Memory: 128gb DDR5

Disk: 4tb NVME

PSU: 1600W

0 Likes
1 Reply

After thinking it through, I'm nearly certain the driver is encountering a bug when a program is transferred from a monitor on GPU1 to a monitor on GPU2. 

The bugs don't exist with 3 monitors on 1 GPU, but if they are plugged into 2 GPUs, then bugs start. 

0 Likes