cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Tracenji
Adept I

Driver timouts only after PC has been on for hours

a month or two ago i started having weird random slowness and temporary freezing and driver timeouts, but only after my system has been on for roughly 8 to 10 hours

i originally thought i just somehow broke my Linux install and decided to just deal with for now as i decided to wait and reinstall when Fedora 40 releases, but this weekend i was playing fortnite and after my pc was on for about 8 to 10 hours it also happened in Windows 10

so to me this seems like a hardware thing since it is happening on two completely different Operating Systems on two different drives (SSDs)

CPU and GPU temps should be perfectly fine since my CPU is watercooled and my gpu is a red devil and hotspot temps max out at about 95C

could my GPU be faulty?
or what other component could be causing this?
help appreciated

SPECS:

• CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 4.3 ghz, 1.35V
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI hero (X370)
  • MB BIOS: 8702
  • RAM: 4x 16GB sticks, Gskill Trident Z RGB 3600mhz CL17 (but at 3533hmz)
  • GPU: Powercolor 7900 XTX Red Devil (GDDR6 Hynix)
  • GPU BIOS: 022.001.002.009.000001
  • PSU: Corsair HX1200i
  • Operating system: Linux Fedora (6.7 kernel) and Windows 10 (22H2 Build 19045)
  • Background Applications: Firefox
  • Resizable BAR, Smart Access Memory is on and GPU is connected at PCIe 3.0x16 speed

0 Likes
5 Replies
Kahlimdor
Adept II

Hi there. Sorry to see that you are facing some issues.

I don't thinks this will give you an answer to them, just would like to point out a few things that could benefit your current build.

1. The R 9 9300x only support 2 channes, so it would be convient to have 2 sticks of 32
  2. The max speed on the specifications of said CPU is 3200, so maybe change that?

Again, I don't think this will "give you a solution" but maybe try to optimize what you have. Just saying.

Hope it helps. Have a good one! - Kahlimdor -

i doubt that's the issue since it's been fine for years but i'll try it

Kahlimdor
Adept II

Yeah I don't think it will solve the problem, but maybe it could extend the life of the hardware.

Also, just checked the MB also says 3200. And, it's a 2017 MB, with a 2024 GPU. Maybe the MB has kind of "old tech" for that specific GPU? Not talking about the drivers, but about a 7 years gap in gaming, quite a lot IMO. I know keeping up is almost impossible since prices are insane, but maybe start thinking of switching to AM5 in order to take more advantage of that monstrous GPU?

Again, just saying, I am no professional so do not take to heart what I'm saying, it's just my personal view.

- Kahlimdor -

yeah, the motherboard is from when i built my Zen 1 system, 7 years is a lot, that's about one third of my life, but the CPU has been mostly keeping up at the graphics settings i go with, i have started getting CPU bound in some newer games tho

but it could definitely be that my motherboard is nearing the end of it's life, my pc is on most of the time after all, it has also been overclocked basically since 2017 too

how long do motherboards even usually last?

i was already planning on going AM5 when they release Zen 5, hopefully motherboard prices will be a bit more reasonable next time

0 Likes

oh, forgot to say that i cleared my bios and only changed fan curves, set my ram to 3200 and enabled RE-BAR

we will see if that does anything

0 Likes