cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ginfish
Adept I

Crashes to desktop (games) - 7800 XT

I started using this new computer on Monday (17-OCT) and while most things are going flawlessly, playing games has been a fairly unpleasant adventure. 

Games played, so far, on this new setup: 

1. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Multiplayer, not Warzone)
  2. Diablo 4
  3. World of Warcraft

1. Call of Duty originally was crashing every 1 or 2 minutes. After some google-fu, a trip to the BIOS, and messing around with AMD Adrenalin... Completely disabling AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics (integrated) in Device Manager appears to be what has given me stability in that game. As a matter of fact, the reason why I even turned off AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics in the first place was because one of my 2 monitors was plugged in and recognized, but the screen wouldnt load up the "source" and remained idle... Until I disabled Integrated graphics. The card appears to constantly be running @ 100%, but I've come to understand that this is seemingly normal? Temps never went above 70c.

* Update on the call of duty situation: It's still crashing.

2. Diablo 4 gave me no initial signs of trouble... Then after about 1 hour into the session, it crashed to the desktop for the first time. "Fenris" error message from the game. I waited about an hour, figured it might've been a one off and decided to play again. About 5 minutes into the session, it, again, crashed to the desktop with the same error message.

3. World of Warcraft has not given me a single problem so far.

My setup is:

I'm at a bit of a loss here. I don't understand why I'm getting these issues and what kind of fix I'm supposed to be looking for.

2 Solutions
ThreeDee
Paragon

Is your BIOS up to date?

Do you have the latest AM5 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com website?

Why the slow Corsair RAM? Is installed in slots A2/B2? (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)

Generally good practice to run separate cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU

I just set this exact motherboard up for my mother with a 7600, 2x16GB FlareX 5 EXPO 6000 (Samsung), 2xM.2 1TB NVMe inexpensive somethings, generic mesh front case, Rosewill CMG850wtt 80+ Gold  ..  using the stock cooler and no discrete GPU

It's been working great for her. I was even playing some CS2 on the iGPU.. mostly low settings with some medium at 1080p

ThreeDee PC specs

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DipakJ27
Adept III

Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Make sure that you are using the latest drivers for your graphics card.
  2. You can download the latest drivers from the AMD website.
  3. Try running your games in a lower graphics setting.
  4. This can help to reduce the load on your graphics card and may help to prevent crashes.
  5. Make sure that your computer is properly ventilated.
  6. If your computer is overheating, this can cause crashes.
  7. Try running your games in windowed mode instead of fullscreen mode.
  8. This can sometimes help to prevent crashes.
  9. Try disabling any overclocking that you have applied to your graphics card or CPU.
  10. Overclocking can sometimes cause instability and lead to crashes.

If you are still having problems after trying these troubleshooting steps, you may need to contact AMD support for further assistance.

Here are some additional things you can try:

• Update your BIOS. Sometimes, an outdated BIOS can cause crashes with new hardware.
  • Try running your games in safe mode.
  • This can help to rule out any software conflicts that may be causing the crashes.
  • Test your RAM. A faulty RAM stick can sometimes cause crashes.
  • You can use a program like MemTest86 to test your RAM.
  • Test your power supply.
  • A faulty power supply can also cause crashes.
  • You can use a program like FurMark to stress test your power supply.

If you have tried all of these troubleshooting steps and you are still having problems, you may need to RMA your graphics card.

I hope this helps!

Dipakjadhav

View solution in original post

14 Replies
BraveKiwi
Adept III

Which driver version are you using? 23.10.2 was released yesterday and it is supposed to fix issues with CoD specifically. I know you say you have the latest driver, but maybe you installed it before this came out, so it's worth checking out.

Fixed Issues

"Intermittent app crash in Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II when Radeon Anti-Lag is enabled." 

The AMD Adrenalin "driver & software" says 23.9.3, but the driver for the card itself appears to be 23.20.11, if that makes any sense? (Driver Version
23.20.11.04-230921a-396203C-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition)

So when you say driver 23.10.2, is it for the card specifically:Untitled1.jpg

Or is it for the AMD Adrenaline Home page "Driver & Software" part in this screenshot?:Untitled.jpg

I mean the second option, 23.10.2 doesn't show up for me either to update through Adrenaline, but it is available to download straight from the AMD website. 

https://www.amd.com/es/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-7800-series/amd-rade...

0 Likes

Alright cool, just manually downloaded the update, we'll see how it plays out.

So the driver is up-to-date with the one that was released 19-OCT (as of writing this reply) and I've played 2 games since.

• World of Warcraft still gave me no trouble in about 1 hour of play. 
  • Diablo 4 ran well for multiple hours and then I remembered I had capped the game at 60fps to see if it would resolve the crashing issue. I then figured I might aswell try to return the cap to 144fps and see what would happen there. The game crashed 45 minutes to an hour after that.

It crashed to the desktop, but both monitors did sort of "shutdown" for 1 or 2 seconds as if they had lost the source/went idle. Kind of worried the GPU might be faulty since an increase in performance demand appears to be what makes games crash even tho' this entire system should be able to handle Diablo 4 without feeling it... Which it does, as there is no drop in performance or any indication that the system struggles in the moments leading to the crashes.

Edit: Lowered the FPS limit to 70 in Diablo 4 and it ran without crashes for the entire 2~3 hours I played. Why?

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

Is your BIOS up to date?

Do you have the latest AM5 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com website?

Why the slow Corsair RAM? Is installed in slots A2/B2? (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)

Generally good practice to run separate cables from your power supply to each power input on your GPU

I just set this exact motherboard up for my mother with a 7600, 2x16GB FlareX 5 EXPO 6000 (Samsung), 2xM.2 1TB NVMe inexpensive somethings, generic mesh front case, Rosewill CMG850wtt 80+ Gold  ..  using the stock cooler and no discrete GPU

It's been working great for her. I was even playing some CS2 on the iGPU.. mostly low settings with some medium at 1080p

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
DipakJ27
Adept III

Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Make sure that you are using the latest drivers for your graphics card.
  2. You can download the latest drivers from the AMD website.
  3. Try running your games in a lower graphics setting.
  4. This can help to reduce the load on your graphics card and may help to prevent crashes.
  5. Make sure that your computer is properly ventilated.
  6. If your computer is overheating, this can cause crashes.
  7. Try running your games in windowed mode instead of fullscreen mode.
  8. This can sometimes help to prevent crashes.
  9. Try disabling any overclocking that you have applied to your graphics card or CPU.
  10. Overclocking can sometimes cause instability and lead to crashes.

If you are still having problems after trying these troubleshooting steps, you may need to contact AMD support for further assistance.

Here are some additional things you can try:

• Update your BIOS. Sometimes, an outdated BIOS can cause crashes with new hardware.
  • Try running your games in safe mode.
  • This can help to rule out any software conflicts that may be causing the crashes.
  • Test your RAM. A faulty RAM stick can sometimes cause crashes.
  • You can use a program like MemTest86 to test your RAM.
  • Test your power supply.
  • A faulty power supply can also cause crashes.
  • You can use a program like FurMark to stress test your power supply.

If you have tried all of these troubleshooting steps and you are still having problems, you may need to RMA your graphics card.

I hope this helps!

Dipakjadhav

That was the issue. I thought my bios was up to date, but it wasnt. No crashes since.

olympiclarry
Journeyman III

How many pci-e cables do you have connected to the video card?  2 separate cables or 1 with a splitter? You should have 2 separate cables.

0 Likes
tawapah
Adept I

Hi, I just solved a lot of game issues with my RX 6600 card and thought this maybe could help you also.

I always thought the stuttering/lags/crashes was because of the driver in use, but after I recently tested the newest driver (23.10.1) using a "Minimal Install" instead of a "Full Install" the games are suddenly running much more stable than when I used the default "Full Install".

So the issue with my graphics card actually seem to be caused by some installed Adrenalin feature.

Note: I did remove all AMD related data with DDU before trying the above, but I don't know if this is necessary.

Actually, it turns out my BIOS was massively out of date. It's been updated and I havnt had a crash since.

-drum974-
Journeyman III

c'est bon pour moi également, merci a toi pour l'information.

0 Likes
-drum974-
Journeyman III

finalement non  cela n'a pas fonctionné pour moi

0 Likes
daesz
Journeyman III

Got the same issue today with rainbow6siege, crashed twice to desktop (within like 4 hours), first time was mid game, 2nd time on round drone phase, got suspended for 1h. At first i thought its my extreme downvolt/OC (-10%pl, 500/2950 gpu, 2650 mem, 1025mv), it was running just fine on cyberpunk and 3dmark timespy, so i tunned it down (-10%, 500/2850, 2550, 1050mV), it crashed on 2nd ingame benchmark run, i did a few more tune downs, but it was keep crashing, then i turned off angi-lag and returned the initial DV/OC (the highest one), no more crashes in like 7-8 bench runs so far

Forget what i said, got crash on like 10/11th bench run, apparently its vulkan what was making crashes for me, works fine on directx.