cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Shamanji
Adept I

can a graphic card go bad over 1month and a half and du periodically random reboots?

Hello i Purchased a sapphire radeon rx 7900 xtx nitro+ oc 24gb on the 13th of MaJ and had issues with it right away my question is tho "an a graphic card go bad over 1month and a half and du periodically random reboots?"

I started getting from the 22th of maj to 18th June 4 bsods and was told that it was amdryzenmasterdriver.sys  that was installed with the full install of adrenalin drivers throught that time i had amd and microsoft advisers analyze the dump files of the 4x bsods and some said amdryzenmasterdriver and cpumetricsserver.exe oothers said my ram was the cause of bad memory but memtest86 / memtest86+ / windows memmory diagnostic passes over 10 times each with 0 errors.

Amd then also analyzed and other amd graphic card users also report wierd behavier with cpumetricsserver.exe and amdryzenmasterdriver.sys amd then found out and removed cpumetricsserver.exe writing to me it was the one doing the wierd behavier, i then ran with the minimal install that didnt not install cpumetricsserver.exe and amdryzenmasterdriver.sys and i did not experience bsods anymore

Then the 27th of june came out Amd adrenalin 24.6.1 and the bsods stopped and i noticed pumetricsserver.exe was not installed wiht the full install and contacted amd and was told it was under investigation if being the troublemaker everything ran fine until the 5 of juli then my pc started rebooting either when windows was just starting to load or when it came into windows just periodically.

So i unstalled all amd chipset / grafik driver from programs and funtions and then ran ddu and amd cleanup utility and got so far to check if there was left overs there wassent, then i wanted to install chipset and graphic driver minimal or just driver but all of sudden reboot and i keep doing it periodically  as i never got a chance to get anything done.

So i decided to test the old card i had before 980 ti and wupti everthing was fine angain.

Now i know what many thinks here that it can be my psu but the pc dossent shut down just periodically reboots and i have a Super flower 2000W "SF-2000F14HP"that is even recommended for nvidia 4090 graphic cards also i know mine is 9 years old but when the 7900xtx was in the system and running ok i tool a testo using a power plug messure to see how much my pc draws under idle and load and 950watt load and 300-400 idle and load was with cinebench 24 and furmark 2 running at the same time when playing a demanding game its around 750watt..so i doubt its my psu.

but my question can a gpu go bad so quickly and start periodically reboots? and it wassent even under load.

Th card is curriently rma'ed hoping they fix it or replace it.

0 Likes
2 Replies
franka
Adept I

Anything electrical can malfunction at any time. Regarding the power supply, I personally use a 7900XTX with a 1000W PSU. Make sure you are not using the same rail for both power inputs on the card, as in my experience, this can cause stability issues.

If you have one graphics card power lead with two 6 or 8-pin connectors and are using them to power the card, use two different leads instead of just the one daisy-chained. This can help avoid stability issues.

0 Likes

I was using 3  rails on the psu giving each of the 3 power input plugs its own pci-e outtake on the psu

0 Likes