cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

dstmnd89x
Challenger

At Loss with 6700 XT

Been awhile since I've posted here, but I was hoping someone might have some insight on a problem I can't seem to fix.

• MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (1st gen Ryzen board)
  • Ryzen 5700X
  • 16GB DDR4
  • 6700 XT reference card
  • 850W Seasonic PSU
  • Windows 10 Pro

This setup had been working great up until a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm left scratching my head as to why. When running games, doesn't seem to matter which ones (Forza MS, Diablo IV, Elden Ring etc.), I get a consistent crash to desktop after about 2-3 minutes. I've tried a few different 2024 display driver packages, running DDU between them in safe mode, I'm not overclocking, tried under-volting in CCC, and the temps are perfectly fine--if not ideal. For some reason, games always CTD.

I've actually gone so far as to try a different boot drive, running Win11, and the result is the same. There's no artifacts on the screen when the games crash; it's just a soft freeze and then desktop. No error message. Does anyone have any ideas? The card doesn't seem faulty, and Furmark will run continuously for hours, but games always crash. I want to blame software but the fact that it happens across both OS'es is strange to me. I may just pick up a different card, but would really like to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Dragokar
Miniboss

Hello there, have you tried down clocking the GPU-core and the memory?

dstmnd89x
Challenger

Thanks for the response. I believe I have tried to under-clock and undervolt using the Adrenalin software, however I may revisit this. I hadn't needed to touch anything prior to experiencing this issue, but that's hardly a reason not to give it another shot.

I can update the thread with my findings.

0 Likes
dstmnd89x
Challenger

Ok, so I do have some promising info.

After a bit of trial and error, I think I may have gotten the card to where it's stable. Using the 24.5.1 drivers, I brought the card down to 2630 mhz core on 1180mV. I couldn't bring the vram clock down any, but using those values seemed to stabilize the card; to the point where I could play a few games without crashing. I was even able to get through the long shader optimization in Forza which would just crash out after reaching ~25% before.

Performance probably took a miniscule hit, but nothing that would be noticeable. As far as I'm concerned I can happily live with that if the card is now usable. I was a day or two away from pawning the card off, so this has me optimistic. I'll play around with it some more, but this certainly works for now.

Cheers!

0 Likes

This is still a good boost clock and I am happy that it works for u.

https://www.guru3d.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt-(reference)-review/page-33/

0 Likes