cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Blearky
Journeyman III

ASROCK 7800 XT Challenger OC died after last driver update !

I had the same problem like anyone else with my 7800XT crashing all the time.
Though compared to everyone else I used mine quite the opposite way. I had a 
ASROCK 7800XT Challenger OC and while everyone was still overclocking theirs 
I limited mine to 72 FPS mostly despite from games like Valorant etc where I took 144 as the limit.
Comming from a 1080 OC this allowed me still to play everything on ultra smoothly with only using 
around 40% (since energy prices are pretty high in my region). This allowed me to use the card with the
same wattage I had on my old GPU but still have way greater performance. Though my pc crashed as well from
time to time. After the last crash while playing Minecraft one an SMP I got a notice that my 
GPU can't be detected by the current Adrenalin so I downloaded the last drivers (Adrenalin 23.12.1).
I rebooted my pc and everything seem to work that day, except for the fans now that I think of it beeing louder than usually (thought of nothing since I tinkered with my mic and monitoring that day as well) until another crash in the evening while just watching some videos. 
I tried to turn my pc on nothing. 
Unplugged it completely, with cmos and waited for some minutes. Replugged it and tried to start it. 
The fans started, then a short "pop" sound and the smell of burned stuff. 

Opened my pc to a stroing smell and thought it might have been the psu but couldn't smell it.
The GPU on the other hand was kind of unbearable.
I put it in it's anti static package and put together the pc again. 
Tried booting it up without the gpu this morning and things seem to work without it and without any weird smell. 
Opened the GPU bag and it still smells slightly burned. 

Will send the GPU back next week and order a new one, though 
I have to say while the 7800XT is a banger card itself there are a lot of software problems with it it seems.
I do not know if it was the driver that killed it or the PSU so I'll order a new PSU as well and reset everything completely. 

My System as of now:

Case: NZXT H440 
Fans: 3 Noctua Fans Front
           1 NZXT Base Fan Backside
Mainboard: MPG X570 Gaming Plus
CPU: 5900X (UC)
CPU-COOLER: Thermalright Peerless Assassin (2x Fan Design)
RAM: 4x CORSAIR Vengeance 3000 
SSD: 2x standard SSD
         2x M2. (Corsair P600 / Samsung Pro 980) 
GPU: *DEAD* ASROCK 7800XT Challenger OC 
PSU: Modular CS750M — 750 Watt GOLD+  (will be upgraded to 1000 Watt) 

0 Likes
1 Reply
dinesh_rox
Journeyman III

Hey I also faced the same issue, Brand new card within 2 days I faced lot of crash and on the second day card crash and my mobo can’t able to detect it. Send it for rma and they repaired the same card and after rma I used the Asrock software and made custom changes (under volt) and everything work smoothly sometime it was crashing and after 2 weeks I stopped using the asrock software and again my gpu dead.Now waiting for refund.

Do you got any lead why gpu is going dead?

0 Likes