cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

EmjayMD
Adept I

AMD Radeon HD 7640 and AMD Radeon HD 8600/8700M

Hello. Having concerns like a "No AMD graphics driver installed" message. So tried Auto Detect, then no recommendations. Tried manual search, but no AMD Radeon HD 7640G and AMD Radeon HD 8600/8700M as these are the drivers showing under Device Manager. Can I use other drivers as long as it is within the 7000, 8600, and 8700s? Please share your thoughts. Using Windows 10 64 bit. 

3 Solutions

The only APU I found with HD7640G was a A8-4500M APU Processor.

If this is your processor you have a very old IGPU. The last drivers for your IGPU is from 2015/2016 from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-laptops/a8-4500m-rade...

The last AMD drivers for the 8600m/8700m is from 06/21/2021 from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-8790m...

The above driver should be the same for all HD8000 series GPUs.

Now since you have a APU Integrated Graphics that is compatible ONLY with drivers from 2015 and 2016 that is the only drivers you can install in your laptop.

If you try to install the HD8000 series AMD driver from 06/2021 it won't be compatible with your APU Integrated Graphics.

Some Users in the past have been able to use a certain method to install both type of drivers in the same laptop but I don't remember how they did it. Was sorta complicated method.

So basically you are stuck with AMD Drivers from 2015/2016 which are compatible with both Integrated and Discrete GPUs in your laptop.

View solution in original post

Removing my post. I looked up the wrong information. @elstaci  response is correct...the only option you have is to disable the internal graphics (HD7640) in the bios. Not all laptops have this option, make sure you have the last available bios from the laptop manufacturers support site. You want to look for display controls or something like that...all bios features and terminology differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. You want to change the switchable graphics to Static/make the AMD HD8whatever the Primary. Then you will be using the discrete graphics for everything and only one graphics card to update.

Oh. Should I install both Radeon Software and Catalyst Software Suite? Thank you. Took awhile to reply coz of this capcha.

0 Likes
7 Replies

What processor/APU do you have?

0 Likes

It's an A8-4500M. Thank you.

0 Likes

Removing my post. I looked up the wrong information. @elstaci  response is correct...the only option you have is to disable the internal graphics (HD7640) in the bios. Not all laptops have this option, make sure you have the last available bios from the laptop manufacturers support site. You want to look for display controls or something like that...all bios features and terminology differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. You want to change the switchable graphics to Static/make the AMD HD8whatever the Primary. Then you will be using the discrete graphics for everything and only one graphics card to update.

Oh. Should I install both Radeon Software and Catalyst Software Suite? Thank you. Took awhile to reply coz of this capcha.

0 Likes

Hi kingfish. Well, did all I possibly could with your advise (with elstaci's also) but it did not work out. Even had an email from AMD, suggesting to bring in laptop to the manufacturer. Had something to do with manufacturer settings. But really appreciate you guys. Thanks.

0 Likes

The only APU I found with HD7640G was a A8-4500M APU Processor.

If this is your processor you have a very old IGPU. The last drivers for your IGPU is from 2015/2016 from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-laptops/a8-4500m-rade...

The last AMD drivers for the 8600m/8700m is from 06/21/2021 from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-8790m...

The above driver should be the same for all HD8000 series GPUs.

Now since you have a APU Integrated Graphics that is compatible ONLY with drivers from 2015 and 2016 that is the only drivers you can install in your laptop.

If you try to install the HD8000 series AMD driver from 06/2021 it won't be compatible with your APU Integrated Graphics.

Some Users in the past have been able to use a certain method to install both type of drivers in the same laptop but I don't remember how they did it. Was sorta complicated method.

So basically you are stuck with AMD Drivers from 2015/2016 which are compatible with both Integrated and Discrete GPUs in your laptop.

Hi elstaci. Thanks so much for sharing. So I tried but it didn't work out. Also received an email from AMD to have the laptop brought in to the manufacturer. Has something to do with manufacturer setting. Appreciate your effort though.