Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mohamed_yousri01148
Journeyman III

amd catalyst install manager application install install package failure

I have new windows 10 build 1703 

try to install AMD - Catalyst Install Manager (Ver. 8.00.0916) on my laptop Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 and i have issue 

AMD catalyst install manager application install : install package failure . 

I don't have old version on my Laptop 

2 Replies
ricoxrika
Adept II

Hi,
1. Check if you are using correct drivers for your Laptop.

2. For older drivers, head to Dell's website and under drivers and software, select your product and download the appropriate drivers under the "Video" category.
As per the information you provided, https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5521/drivers

3. Older drivers might not work as they were originally meant for Windows 7 or so.

So, try installing newer drivers for Windows 10. Download them from AMD's website (https://www.amd.com/en/support ) by selecting appropriate make and model of your GPU (Graphics card).

4. If you want to run those old OEM drivers (version 8.x), try running them as compatibility mode by: extract setup > run Setup.exe in compatibility for [Windows 7] > install.

I would recommend you to better go with somewhat newer drivers (NOT LATEST [Adrenalin]) as latest drivers do have some issues with GPU selection on some systems.

See if "https://www.techspot.com/drivers/manufacturer/amd/ " has some drivers you need because AMD has removed old drivers from website. [NOTE: Use the site at your own risk. I DO NOT say that the source is only available or is virus-free]

I would recommend you to go with driver version lower than AMD Adrenalin 19.12.1, because that's the point where we have a choice to choose GPU independently for a process/application. After that, all latest drivers DO NOT have that option entirely.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes

I don't know what processor, apu or discrete graphics you might have. Based on Dell's driver page it does not look like they even have Windows 10 drivers listed. Which likely means you hardware went into unsupported legacy mode before Windows 10 even launched. 

More than likely if Windows 10 supports your model it will already have the most up-to-date driver you are ever going to get in it's repository. 

I can tell you that I personally have several AMD laptops that I have never been able to load Windows 10 on one is know to not be supported but 2 have APU's that it is supposedly works on but I can load it. So if you actually got Windows 10 to load and it displaying the correct resolution you may be as good as it gets. 

If you need further help please let us know exactly what cpu, apu and or discrete graphics are in your machine. 

Also you might find running a current version of Windows 10 better. Yours is not supported for a while now. 

You can get the latest installer just google Windows Media Creation Tool.

0 Likes