Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Grods
Adept I

7900XTX VR issues still continuing

frametime.png

Many VR games still act like this, horrible stuttering if there is not enough headroom like running the game at half FPS and generally very low performance compared to 4080 in VR, while on 2D 7900XTX is usually much faster. This review for example has many examples of the issue https://babeltechreviews.com/hellhound-rx-7900-xtx-vs-rtx-4080-50-games-vr/

I'm using Reverb G2, other specs are Z690 mb, 13900ks cpu, 64 gb ram, Win11 Pro.

Same issue is also described quite well here: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/7900xtx-virtual-reality-high-frametime-deltas/td-p/617...

Any hope of VR being fixed with a driver update or would it be wiser to return my card before my 30 day no-questions-asked return option expires? I really love this card otherwise, but most of my gaming is on VR and the current performance is simply unplayable for me.

4 Replies
gmazza
Adept II

That review from BabelTech and the frame times shown are from December 2022, and there have been a number of driver releases to improve VR on the 7900 series significantly since then. That said, the 4080 still seems to beat the 7900 XTX pretty handily in VR, even without ray tracing etc.

I have a Quest 2 that works pretty well with Virtual Desktop, but is garbage using the AirLink or link cable through the Oculus software. Some have suggested the issue is with Meta, who still show the 7900 as incompatible with their software, but I suspect AMD bears some responsibility. The reality is Meta is only barely interested in supporting PCVR anyway, as they really want you in their locked world and buying apps from their store. 

As for the Reverb G2, I have lots of issues with mine, including hard crashes when I open the WMR app a second time. Worse than Meta not being overly bothered about PCVR, Microsoft seems to have completely abandoned WMR altogether. I haven't seen an update from them in ages.

In both cases, I suspect the AMD market share is just too small to justify Meta or Microsoft improving things on their end, and AMD can only do so much to fix without their help. 

In the end, if PCVR is your main form of gaming, it would make a lot of sense to return the 7900 and get a 4080. Much as I love my 7900XTX for monitor gaming, it's just not as polished as the 4080 for VR, and requires a lot more work to get right. PCVR is still kind of a mess generally, and adding a card that doesn't often get much support only adds to the frustration. 

Anyone out there with a 7900 using WMR who wants to offer any tips for setup etc. would be greatly welcomed! 

0 Likes
Veisenberg
Adept I

This card for VR is so bad that I'm contemplating returning it and downgrading to a 4070 TI (can't afford a 4080).

I'm honestly staggered that a year into it's life the VR performance is still this bad.

Such a shame.

0 Likes
ventzaq
Adept III

Though VR performance is much better than it originally was, I do wonder if AMD still regards the above, and VR performance in general, as an issue that needs to be investigated further , especially as mention of it in the release notes was removed.

If not then is the ( disappointing ) performance we currently have the best we can expect ?

Is it unreasonable to expect the 7900xtx to match a 4080 in VR considering the flat screen gaming comparisons ?

Hopefully @Matt_AMD might be able to shed some light on this 

( Reverb G2 user  )

0 Likes
Houdini
Adept I

After months of suffering I need to add to this again.

While the drivers 23.7.1 and 23.10.2 made it a little bit better, there still were some issues. And subsequent drivers made it worse again.

In VR games there are still compression artefacts (I'm playing on a PICO 4 and streaming via WiFi). And when playing longer, there is more and more stuttering.

And if there's just a very small interruption of the connection (e.g. if you take of the headset for a few seconds or step out of the playing zone) the problems get even worse, basically making any game unplayable. Then you need to log off your Windows account and back in. Or sometime even reboot your PC.

Newer drivers were a complete mess, and I lost track of all the problems.

But also a major recent problem is, that the temperature sensors can't be detected by FanControl anymore. I'm using this software to control my CPU and case fans depending on the temperatures of the PC components. And the case fan doesn't spin up anymore to exhaust the hot air, thus causing my system to throttle and stutter even more.

Before I bought my RX 7900 XTX I had an Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti. With that card everything went smooth, and not even slower as with the new AMD card. Now my son has this card in his PC, and the temperature sensors are no problem with FanControl.

I really wanted to love my AMD RX 7900 XTX. I waited a long time to actually get one. And then my first to versions had this vapor chamber issue. But still wanted to be loyal to AMD, and support a competitor of Nvidia.
Now I don't want to wait much longer. If there are no decent drivers within the next few weeks I'll throw that card out of the window, switch fo a Nvidia RXT 4080 and will never buy an AMD card again.

0 Likes