cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jycannel2
Journeyman III

7900XTX Virtual Reality High Frametime Deltas

@Matt_AMD This thread is being created to demonstrate the main issue causing problems in Virtual Reality.

High frame time deltas. High frametime deltas (large spikes in frametimes on the performance graph) have the largest impact to user experience in VR, even more so then FPS, this is because the rapid variation in fametimes causes multiple micro stutters per second, which renders the user experience completely unplayable and more often then not leads to motion sickness. This has been a persistent issue since the launch December (I purchased my 7900XTX on day one) and none of the subsequent updates have improved the issue of high frametime deltas, they have only served to lower the baseline frametime (due to increase in fps provided by the driver updates) at which these spikes occur. 

This is not a isolated case, I have gone around the community gaining information regarding this issue to rule out specific hardware configurations and user error. I have noticed that this issue is more prevalent in WMR (Windows Mixed Reality Headsets) specifically the HP Reverb G2.

The VR game I use to test the issue is DCS WORLD open beta STANDALONE (the non steam version) https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/ using the latest version of OPENXR runtime from the Microsoft store (which the game recommends to install) running in multithreading mode, (single threading mode works fine but you get significantly more performance running in multithreading mode). To launch the multithreading version, navigate to the "bin-mt" folder and launch DCS.exe from it. i.e. "D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin-mt\DCS.exe". Insure motion reprojection is disabled as currently it does not work with RDNA3 in windows Mixed reality.

The reason why we are not using the Steam version and subsequently SteamVR here is another issue causing problems with the 7900XTX and VR with WMR not covered in this thread. The 7900XTX has an issue where if you are using windows mixed reality headsets such as the Reverb G2 with SteamVR it causes an issue where the gpu utilization will always have around 10% overhead and cause even larger frametime Deltas.

Here is an image of a frametime graph from a RTX 3090 running DCS World open Beta Multithreading in OpenXR in the method i described.

Screenshot 2023-07-07 095339.png

You can see the frametimes are smooth and have very few irregularities. 

Here is a frametime graph from a RX 7900 XTX as of the latest driver update 23.7.1 in the same scenario.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 095421.png

You can see that this is rather unpleasant and the constant fluctuations in fps per second causing high frametime deltas, making for a rather unpleasant experience.

What I have done in my community has been to suggest limiting framerates to roughly half of what the GPU is able to push out, that is the only way to achieve consistent frametimes on the 7900XTX which almost defeats the point of owning such a high end card if now by limiting fps you are achieving performance of a 6800XT.

I really hope we can get the ball rolling on this issue as it has been persistent since day one. Best of wishes.

My ingame settings are as follows:

Untitled.png

My system specifications are as follows:

AMD 5800X3D

AMD 7900XTX 

32GB DDR4 3600MHZ

2x 1TB NVME SSD

2x 500GB SATA SSD

10 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I'll pass this feedback along, thank you. 

michipower
Adept I

Hi! If you tell me how you got the delta lecture for the FPS i will upload my data too to help the team find the problem!

Hello! As an AI language model, I don't have access to specific data or previous interactions, including the "delta lecture for the FPS" that you mentioned. My purpose is to assist with information, answer questions, and engage in conversation based on the knowledge I was trained on up to September 2021.

If you have a particular issue or problem related to FPS (Frames Per Second) in video games or any other topic, feel free to describe the issue in more detail, and I'll do my best to provide relevant information and guidance.

However, please be cautious about sharing personal data or sensitive information online. If you have concerns or questions about a specific team or project, it's best to communicate directly with the team members or project leaders through secure channels.

Let me know how I can help, and feel free to provide more context or details about your query! 

0 Likes
jycannel
Adept II

This capture was taken inside DCS world using the built in frametime display (RCTL + PauseBreak) But for other titles you should be able to see it using fpsVR

0 Likes
bogwell
Adept I

This is also still an issue for me: 7900XTX 23.7.2 Quest Pro via Airlink or VD.

It affects most games but not all. Average frame-times are good but frequent frame time spikes causes nauseating game-play.

Is it worth adding some data to this? What data would you need to help diagnose and fix? 

blunderbus
Journeyman III

I also am still having trouble with almost all VR titles.  I am currently running 23.8.2 drivers, windows 11.  Subnautica, No man's sky specifically stutter quite badly when moving your head around. 2d games seem fine in general.

I had better luck with my 6700 xt and 9700k in vr.  framerate was generally lower, but consistent with no spikes.

Current Specs:

Reverb g2

7950x3d

7900 xt

64 gb ddr5 ram

2 x 2 tb nvme ssd

I would be happy to gather any logs or data to help move toward a solution.

0 Likes
Grods
Adept I

This problem still persists, exactly same issue as OP posted.

ventzaq
Adept III

Does anyone have results for the above with newer drivers ( or for that matter what driver version people regard as the best for VR ) ?

0 Likes

Didn't screenshot mine, but they stil look pretty much like that atleast on reverb G2. Went to 4080, now i have tripled my fps and frametimes are smooooth.

Shame, because the VaporX was such a cool card and 7900XTX has so much power.

0 Likes

I'm honestly jealous. It's such a shame the 7900 xtx is so bad at VR. If only AMD would put as much effort into their drivers as they do their advertisement the 7900 xtx would be a banging card.

0 Likes