cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mattyb584
Journeyman III

7900 XTX Stuttering/Audio Cutting Out

I'm sure this has been posted a million times but I'm pretty lost. No matter what I adjust and on pretty much every game I have been getting frame-drops/stutters and audio cutting out for a couple seconds frequently. The only game I haven't really noticed this issue is Fallout: New Vegas but everything else. I feel like I've tried everything I'm starting to assume this is just a 7900 xtx issue and that I should have gone with Nvidia, that 24 gb of vram sold it though. If you have any questions feel free to ask, any advice feel free to offer and.. yeah. I am new to this all though so try to keep that in mind, thanks!

Oh and if it matters I have the MSI 7900 xtx, 7800x3d, Asrock B650e Riptide board, 32 gb of G.skill neo ddr5 ram, a WD 2 TB SSD, basic 2 fan air cooler... hopefully that's enough. Thanks again!

0 Likes
5 Replies
432hz
Challenger

Here's some items you can start with:

1. Have you always had this issue or is it new?
  2. Did the issues start after a GPU driver update, Windows update, chipset update, BIOS update, hardware upgrade, etc?
  3. What PSU do you have and what is the wattage?
  4. Do you have your GPU connected with 3 separate PSU cables (not daisy-chained)?
  5. Latest non-beta BIOS installed for your mobo?
  6. Latest chipset drivers installed from AMD?
  7. Did you verify your RAM is on your mobo's QVL list for your CPU?
  8. Are you running your RAM with EXPO / XMP enabled? Try disabling EXPO / XMP.
  9. Do you have Ryzen Master installed and have you applied any tuning or overclocks? Try reverting to the default profile and testing.
  10. Have you changed any other settings in your BIOS like PBO, etc? Try reverting to default settings in BIOS and testing.
  11. What version of GPU drivers do you have installed? Have you updated them since you first installed the GPU? Try a full uninstall using DDU and/or AMD Cleanup Utility. If latest drivers still don't work, try 23.12.1.
  12. Did you disable Windows Update for drivers before installing your GPU drivers? If not, it's possible Windows overrode your AMD GPU drivers.
0 Likes

...and to add to that:

What is your FCLK set to

Are you using and cable extenders INSIDE your case ... ie .. PCIe Riser cable and/or decorative power cables

How are your CPU/GPU temps?

How is the airflow thru your case? .. you have to keep your VRM's and RAM cool too

My daughter runs the B650E PG Riptide (latest 2.10 BIOS) with a 7950x w/DeepCool AK620, 2x16GB GSkill Ripjaws S5 XMP 6000 CAS30 (Hynix), Gigabyte RX6800, 3 x different M.2 NVMe SSD's, Corsair RM850x PSU, Montech X3 Mesh case, Win11 Pro, 1500VA UPS, 2 x 1080p 24" old ASUS 144hz, 1ms gaming monitors connected via DP and one 1080p drawing tablet / 3rd monitor connected via USB & HDMI. It's been a great setup for her 

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Hey sorry for the delay! I'm not actually sure what FCLK is but I'll look into that in the morning. No cable extenders everything is connected directly to the motherboard or PSU. CPU temps are great about 50-55 at most but my GPU hotspot jumps up over 90 very quickly in certain games and I try won't play those games for extended periods of time because of it. Airflow is decent I believe, 2 intakes in the front 1 exhaust in the back, have them monitoring the CPU now since the board wasn't getting hot enough to get them spinning all that fast. 

Thank you! 

0 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, I'll answer your questions to the best of my ability! 

1. It's about a month old so a new problem but it's always been there. 

2. Not affected by any driver updates AFAIK.

3. PCU - Deepcool PQ1000M (1000 watt)

4. GPU connected with 3 separate cables yeah.

5. BIOS was up to date until 2 days ago but that hasn't changed anything. 

6. All drivers are up to date I believe. 

7. I didn't know that was a thing, looking now I don't see it but it's the g.skill trident z5 neo DDR5-6000, maybe that's the issue. 

8. I am running it in EXPO but I've noticed the issue at 6000 and otherwise.

9. All traces of Ryzen master are long gone it's running default.

10. I believe all I changed in BIOS was turning on EXPO.

11 and 12. I uninstalled drivers with DDU, turned off windows auto update and installed the latest drivers the other day. 

Thank you! 

0 Likes

Ryzen 7000 is very particular about RAM compatibility (see mobo RAM QVL list), but if your kit isn't on the QVL list, it should work fine with EXPO disabled. Try to fully disable EXPO / XMP in your BIOS and see if it resolves the issue.

Verify your RAM is good by running MemTest86 (it can take a couple hours).

Did you download and install the latest chipset drivers from AMD? https://www.amd.com/en/support/download/drivers.html

There are software-level things to try next if the above doesn't work.

0 Likes