cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ramek99
Journeyman III

(7900 XTX) High VRAM speed on idle - 100W idle power consumption

I have a problem with the 7900 XTX card and its power consumption.

I use 3 monitors for work, when I have both connected, the power consumption of the card is 30W and the temperature of the memory junction is 56 degrees Celsius.

On the other hand, when I connect a third monitor, the memory frequency jumps to 2500Mhz and the power consumption of the whole card is 100W - and also the temperature of the memory junction is as high as 74 degrees. And this is in the idle state. I wonder how long the card will work if it runs day after day with such temperatures. 

Does AMD plan to eventually improve its drivers so that the 7900 XTX doesn't consume 100W at idle?

With the release of new processors I keep hearing the word “ efficiency”. How about AMD finally address fixing these drivers and the problems that have been known for years?

The most powerful card from the AMD stable has such underdeveloped drivers that it's hard to look at, example:

power-multi-monitor.png

My spec:
Ryzen 5800X3D
MSI B550-A Pro

32GB Ram ddr4-3600Mhz

Sapphire 7900 XTX Nitro+

Each monitor has AMD Freesync enabled, each running at 4k resolution.

3 Replies
Zblurth
Journeyman III

Hi, to make it simple no they will not fix it. 
I am another user of a 7900XTX (XFX 310 merc black) and since launch I have this 100W idle consumption, I did contact support from the retailer for sending it back, they refused, so I contacted the XFX they told me to contact AMD. So I did and they told me it was normal and would not take the GPU back

My monitor configuration is a 3440x1440 100hz display (it idle at 40W when it is the only one plugged) and a 1080 60hz display (idle at 30W when alone) 

I tried many thing, creating custom resolution with DDU or the Adrenaline, Reinstalling windows, most drivers AMD released, even the experimental one (I have the card since the start of the year so I tested a good chuck of them), reducing the hz of my screen (without just putting it at 60hz, this one fix the issue but also plugging no screen in the gpu "fix it" and that isn't really a solution especially for a card I pay 1200 euros)

funnily enough AMD did have multiple driver where in the release note they called the issue fixed, I can recall3 instances of that

Anyway too bad for AMD I am the tech guy of the friend and family and already send 6 peoples that would have bought RDNA3 to Nvidia (not that it will change anything in the grand scheme of thing but still), because where we live the cost of electricity alone make Nvidia cheaper in 2 years as it cost me close to 100 euros per years... **bleep** that **bleep** and do not buy AMD if you do not have too because they will not take care of you

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

It really depends on the monitor refresh rate. I am guessing that power consumption chart is for monitors with same refresh, maybe even the same monitor. When you get different refresh rates that are not multiples, GPUs have issues, even nvidia. Then AMD has issues with high refresh rate monitors as well.

About a year ago, AMD did a fix that helped the issue a lot, but more could still be done.

List out your monitors refresh rates, or try to use refresh rates that are multiples like 60 - 120.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Exemplar

It seems to be hit or miss depending on driver version.

With my 7900XT on 24.5.1 it shows 15W idle power and Zero RPM allows the fans to turn off. When updated to 24.7.1 it went to 40W idle power and the fans were always spinning at 500RPM minimum.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes