cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

panchomalo2002
Journeyman III

7900 XTX Drawing Too Much Power?

Hello, I came here with a problem I just recently discovered with the 7900xtx I bought on the AMD Website. I was running some stress test and depending on the test the GPU would draw, and stay constant, between 480 to 520 Watts, which is a little too much to my knowledge. This power draw came up with the game GTFO, since I was playing it and the game would turn my monitors off for a couple seconds, crash the game, and finish off with my other apps re-opening/restarting. My hypothesis is that the card is spiking high and tripping overcurrent, but not sure and wanted to ask here. In terms of temps and GPU Usage, during my stress test (and in the game I had this problem), it uses 100% of the card, and temperature-wise stays at 74C with the junction maxing at 96-97C.

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core Processor
GPU: AMD Radeon 7900XTX (AMD Model)
Disk: Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
RAM: 2x16 G.Skill Flare X5 Series
PSU: Corsair RMx Series (2021), RM850x, 850 Watt, GOLD, Fully Modular Power Supply
Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B650 WiFi
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

0 Likes
5 Replies
AW3S0ME
Adept II

Sorry I have no answer but I'm curious about the issue also.  With mine I can't run the AMD Stress test.  It just idles down after 30 some seconds and I'm wondering if it's PSU related too

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
GPU: AMD Radeon 7900XTX
PSU: Seasonic Prime Tx-1000w Titanium

0 Likes
Moist
Adept III

I've had some power issues as well. AMD stress test does the same idle down after 30 seconds mentioned here. My InWin 1250 Platinum power supply was a big enough issue that I couldn't even set up the card. I replaced it with a corsair 850W fully modular. I haven't experienced more than 420w power draw in tests/games. That being said there are definitely high idle power draw issues unless I get creative with my setup. I think it has more to do with drivers than anything else at the moment. I'm usually a pretty early adopter of tech and like to mess around with it with the expectation that there's going to be issues. That being said my experience with the 7900XTX has been one of the roughest experiences I've had with a piece of hardware in quite a few years. More time on the driver side and less time bad marketing would be really nice to see going forward.

0 Likes
AW3S0ME
Adept II

I hooked up a wall watt/amp reader about 15m ago and I was getting wattage readings peaking around 520w while the card was boosting.  I can't tell if there was a decimal point for the amp reading so I can't give a reliable result for that.  But again the card did not complete the test. 

Have you guys tried running 3DMark?

0 Likes
Moist
Adept III

All my stress tests and benchmarks run just fine and complete as normal except the adrenaline stress test. Like I said I've never seen a huge draw or anything above 420w in my testing.

0 Likes
AW3S0ME
Adept II

I'm hearing more people say that about the Adrenaline AMD Stress test so it looks like there is an issue with that.  Glad that's out of the way.

0 Likes