cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Pekarino
Adept I

7900 GRE microstuttering

Hello everyone.  I have purchased a 7800X3D and ran it with a 980ti. The performance boost was great, but when scoped in in Escape from Tarkov, the fps would still drop below 60. Yesterday I have purchased a brand new 7900 GRE. The raw performance is fantastic, BUT... There are intermittent stutters, as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCW5WEyON8  and https://youtu.be/iS9wgqaZpe4. I don't think this was happening with the 980ti. I am running out of options to fix this.

The HW setup is:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 7900 GRE
RAM: Lexar ARES 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz CL30
MB: ASRock B650E Steel Legend
PSU: Corsair RM750X
DISK: Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256GB

I have tried:

• Updating BIOS to the latest version
  • Updating chipset drivers to the latest version
  • Formatting disk and doing a clean install of Windows 11
  • Upgrading and downgrading AMD adrenalin drivers
  • Raising minimum GPU core frequency in drivers
  • Disabling MPO in Windows
  • Turning on and off AMD EXPO
  • Enabling and disabling fTPM
  • Enabling and disabling global c-state control
  • Running Windows 11 memory test - 0 errors

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Honestly I might just return the card. My last option is that this could be caused by the SSD, which is 9 years old, but according to disk sentinel it still has 90% health and 0 errors.

Thank you very much for any ideas.

0 Likes
7 Replies
hardreset
Challenger

If you are using GPU-Z, disable it.

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

Thanks for the idea, but I don't have gpu-z installed.

0 Likes
hardreset
Challenger

Maybe there is an application causing the problem?
Are you using MSI Aterburner? If so, turn it off.
I'll also try selective start, only the necessary applications. This can be set in MSConfig

msconfig1.jpg

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

I've just tried this. And the stuttering is still happening.

This is on a brand new installation of Win 11, updated and downloaded only firefox and Escape from Tarkov.
On a brand new Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB.

I've opened a ticket with Sapphire customer support to see if they have any idea of what might be wrong.

0 Likes
hardreset
Challenger

What radeon drivers have you checked? And also try to on Radeon ANTI-LAG. 

0 Likes
Pekarino
Adept I

Alright. After a few days of painful tinkering and numerous reinstalls of windows, I think I can confidently say that I have found the final solution.

Step 1 was to do a fresh install of Win 11

Step 2 was to install AMD Adrenalin ver. 23.12.1

• I was still getting intermittent stutters.

Step 3 was to force shader cache to "always on" in the registry. (Look this up, the how-to is not allowed on this forum. Also be careful.)

• This fixed intermittent stutters (every few seconds), but introduced occasional, more noticeable stutters (every few minutes) - hard dips in FPS.

Step 4 was to disable SAM in the driver

• This fixed the occasional hard stutters.

I will keep monitoring the situation and hope that I won't have to update drivers anytime soon. I must say that the plug-and-play experience was terrible, it took me more than a week of playing around with the BIOS, Windows and drivers. But hopefully this is the end of the struggle. So far I've only tested this in Apex Legends, I still have to try different games.

PappaBr
Journeyman III

Hi, disabling CSM in BIOS helped me get rid of stuttering with 7900 GRE, using z390 series Gigabyte motherboard, hope it helps. 

0 Likes