cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lowl1fe
Adept I

7800XT random PC restarts - crashes

Ever since we upgraded our GPU to a Radeon 7800xt (coming from a 1070gtx), the system became quite unstable. Random pc restarts happen in games or even while being on desktop or watching videos.

Our Specs:

• Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI (latest Bios)

• CPU: AMD (AM5) CPU 7600x

• Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x 16gb (30CL at 6000hz)

• GPU: Radeon 7800xt - Sapphire Nitro+

• NVME: 1 TB Samsung 980 and a 2 TB Samsung 980 pro

• PSU: Corsair 1000w

• Windows 10 (22h2)

What we tried so far (without success):

• Upgraded our PSU from 850w (Corsair) to a 1000w (Corsair)

• Fresh installation of Windows 10

• Tried the "Silent Bios" on the GPU (without OC)

• Tested older and newer BIOS versions for the mb

• Uninstalled the Adrenalin Software and used DDU to get rid of older drivers and then installed only the plain drivers without the software

• Installed the latest chipset and on-board audio drivers

• Tried to play without EXPO enabled

• bought a new DisplayPort cable

• Connected the GPU with the PSU with two seperate cables

The list is actually a bit longer but I cannot remember everything we tried, however, there is one thing that is quite strange. The restarts happen mostly within one hour after switching on the PC for the first time.

Both temps (CPU/GPU) are actually really good (CPU at 40° idle//GPU at around 60-70° under load). So this is not really a reason for the restarts.

We managed to recreate some restarts by "alt-tabbing" out of certain games.

Now we ran out of ideas and would be glad if some of you had some suggestions.

PS: What I forgot to mention, we had an older PC (AMD 5800/32gb G.Skill) and even there the GPU had these issues.

Best regards and thank you for reading.

2 Solutions
lowl1fe
Adept I

The new drivers seem to have fixed it. No crashes for two days straight.

View solution in original post

I had it all the time on DP and it crashed within minutes. What I forgot to mention above was, that I changed the power limit draw to +15% and the max frequency setting to 95%.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
56 Replies

Conclusion after all the data: We have to wait for AMD Drivers to solve this problem. This might take forever though.

0 Likes
lk29
Journeyman III

Same for me with all the tests carried out for an xfx that I have owned since the card was released. I was going to change brands but in view of the comments or it's the same for other brands I'm lost...
Please amd find us a solution. I would like to be loyal to your brand in view of your way of doing things but if the card does not work I would probably go back to the competitor where I have never had any problems before.

0 Likes
Foxiv
Journeyman III

New drivers 23.12.1

IMG_3953.png

0 Likes
necramonium
Adept II

Anyone tried the new drivers to see if this fixed the issues?

0 Likes

Yes I tried it and a bit surprisingly it actually seems better. However I didn't have that much time for testing. As I wrote before, ACS always crashed very quickly for me. With the new driver update I was able to play multiple missions without any problems. I tried again after another cold boot today, and again, no crash at all. I'm always starting with the same savegame for testing, which crashed pretty reliable and quick after a cold boot. I don't really trust it yet and also the changelog didn't mention this problem or a related fix but for the moment it looks better to me.
I'm also curious what others have to report

0 Likes

It didn't. Just crashed a moment ago with the new drivers. Should've bought Nvidia after all.

0 Likes

Hello, so for the past few weeks my crashing have gone away and had pretty much a stable experience.

I used a different driver which seems the 23.12.1 is based on which is the 23.30.13.01. ( this method may work with the 23.12.1 )

What worked for me was this method of driver install;

first DDU everything off, we need a clean slate.

Install the driver I suggested, but only the driver, not full or min install, just driver only.

Run your system for a few hours or day, you will then experience a strange issue and driver time outs - what happens here is ( and could be whats actually happening to you right now ) is that windows 11 installs a really strange old AMD driver without telling you and no restart, it literally installs it in the background as you are doing stuff. 

If you get this, check the windows driver install history and see if it installed something after you did a manual install of the driver above.

From here, do not DDU, from here just reinstall the Driver above the same way, driver only on top of everything.

Doing this has been really stable for the past few weeks and this was coming from crashing several times a day no matter what I was doing.

0 Likes

0 crashes since new drivers, +6 games tested +20h of gaming. Awesome. 

0 Likes

I have to say that I updated windows 11 and amd drivers the same day, I don´t know wich of them fixed the issue. 

0 Likes
lowl1fe
Adept I

The new drivers seem to have fixed it. No crashes for two days straight.

I switched from HDMI to displayport and I didnt crash for a week.  2 days doesnt seem like long enough of a test.

0 Likes

I had it all the time on DP and it crashed within minutes. What I forgot to mention above was, that I changed the power limit draw to +15% and the max frequency setting to 95%.

0 Likes

Hello,

Even having the latest drivers, my pc keeps shutting down, any idea? I am desperate.

0 Likes

You can try downclocking the card.  Updating your motherboard BIOS.  If that doesnt work then all I can suggest is RMA or returning the card.

0 Likes

The new drivers have not fixed the issue, I'm still getting the same crashes.

0 Likes

I also set the power limit draw to +15% and the max frequency setting to 95%. Never had a crash again ever since.

0 Likes
jaycccckc
Adept I

Just so everybody knows i'm still having random black screens with the card. where's the **bleep**ing fix amd? 

0 Likes