cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

BraveKiwi
Adept III

7800 XT crashing with dual monitor setups (DP+HDMI = Green screen and system reboot)

Hey everyone,

I'm having a strange issue where the card will completely crash my system when i have two displays plugged in. My card is a Gigabyte 7800 XT GAMING OC 16GB. My main display is a 1080p 144hz monitor plugged through DisplayPort, and my secondary display is a 1080p 60hz monitor plugged through an HDMI connector. The crash happens when running games, at random times, and does not appear while stress testing; the main screen goes black, the secondary HDMI screen goes green for a few seconds, and the whole system reboots.

After speaking to several users online, i'm not the only one with this specific problem, as several users with this same monitor setup have the exact same issue. I am positive that the problem is the GPU, as i'm using a system that was completely stable for months otherwise before installing this GPU, and the problem disappears when i replace the 7800 XT with a GTX 1070.

Fixes i have tried:

1. Changing my power supply to rule out power issues
  2. Disabling XMP
  3. Doing a clean driver reinstall several times, using DDU in safe mode and replacing the driver by both the 23.9.1 versions and the 23.9.3 versions, in full, minimal, or driver only installs (the crash persists in all of these scenarios)
  4. Disabling MPO
  5. Doing a complete clean reinstall of Windows
  6. Plugging the secondary monitor through an HDMI-DP adaptor
  7. Updating my motherboard BIOS to the latest version
  8. Plugging both monitors into the card in different ports (i tried all possible combinations)

None of these measures helped stop the crashes. The only thing that has actually worked to stop the crashes is using only my main DisplayPort monitor, that is to say, unplugging the HDMI monitor.

I'm looking to see if there are any other users here who are experiencing this issue, see if there is anything else i haven't thought of trying, and to maybe find out if this is a known issue that can be fixed by a driver update, or if i should return the card.

207 Replies
B1ackBishop
Adept I

So, it's been 3 weeks and I haven't had a single crash since the last time of posting (3 weeks ago). It's not a guarantee my issue has been resolved because I've had no crashes for long periods before, only to have them again. However, this time I may be onto something, and your GPU down clocking workaround may have helped because I immediately stopped getting crashes for a few days. This fact, plus tripping on THIS video from Ancient Gameplays got me thinking I may have and instability issue with something else that's not my GPU. I've always ruled this out because my system was perfectly stable before I upgraded my GPU, however, Ancient Gameplays points out in one of his tips that, just because your machine was stable before a GPU replacement, that doesn't mean it will be stable after the replacement. Especially when the GPU replacement is much faster than the original. This is even more relevant when you have some sort of overclocking. I have everything default on my machine, except for XMP (or in my case, DOCP) which I and almost everyone activates to reached the RAM rated speeds. I haven't messed with RAM timings or anything else, all I have is the XMP on and my RAM rated speed selected. Seems this, however, can be the cause for instability if other components in your machine (like your new, much faster GPU) push the RAM closer to it's limit. The solution suggested by Ancient Gameplays is to, in this case, up the RAM voltage in the BIOS a bit. Like 1.35v to 1.39v. This is what I did and, hopefully, this was/is the end of my issues.

At any rate, even if this isn't a solution for anyone reading this, check out the above linked video. The whole video has some good tips on other possible solutions.

Indeed, perhaps before reinstalling Windows, I had a bios glitch, for I remember that the base frequency was 2400. Then I activated XMP, at 3600 and since then I had problems. Now I set it to Auto and the problem was not detected. I set XMP back to 3600 and raised the voltage to 1.38, as it was in the video and the problem was not detected again. I'll keep trying for now, but in any case, thanks a lot for the info and the previous feedback with underwinding)

0 Likes

Alas, it was an illusion (no problems were observed in Furmark with different RAM parameters), but otherwise, for example in Path of Exile, when starting the game - green screen. I tried almost all the methods in the video (I didn't reinstall Windows) - it didn't help, alas. But, once again, thanks for the video and the answer

loginass5
Journeyman III

Arch Linux User here, same issue. It is working only with 1 monitor. If I plug the second or third one in, I get random green screens. 

On windows everything works fine.

0 Likes
Odargson
Adept I

Guys, this week i did a clean install w10, and before doing any kind of update or installation, i blocked windows drive update function. since i did that i had 0 crashes this week. i use 2 monitors with hdmi connections, didnt try DP for the moment, but maybe this can help some of you in this struggle.
I also noticed that, when windows update the video drive, it puts you in amd 23.30.20(something like this) but if you go to windows programs to uninstall it, you will se the version you installed. So what might be breaking our pcs might be windows update.

Just to let you guys know, up to now, no problems whatsoever, using 24.3.1 version of adrenaline, and drivers update still blocked. But i am using 2 hdmi (mine is a 7800xt sapphire pulse, wich has 2 DP + 2 HDMI ports). When i tried to use DP + HMDI, only worked when i left on 60hz. If i try to make it higher(my monitor is 165hz) it doens recognize my DP monitor.

0 Likes
brunoccarneiro
Journeyman III

I have exactly the same issues, 2 screens, one with HDMI and the other with DP(Both 1440p 165HZ) and the game/application fails, event view goes:

2024-04-22 03_39_41-Counter-Strike 2.png

Adrenaline just pops:

2024-04-22 03_39_40-Counter-Strike 2.png

After several suggestions, I started to change the HDMI to another DP, the issue still lingers.

So now I'm on the next test, I've uninstalled Adrenalin and I'm just running with drivers + MSI afterburner. So far no crashes and/or weird things happening.

This does not make sense to be forced to totally avoid a software because it crashes the computer if you have 2 monitors.

Contacted Sapphire and they are trying to throw this to AMD....

Just spend money to not have problems.... and I get more problems...

As an update Sapphire just said to open a ticket to AMD directly....

Next Time I have a suspension issue with my car that is in the warranty I will call Monroe to solve it...