cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

BraveKiwi
Adept III

7800 XT crashing with dual monitor setups (DP+HDMI = Green screen and system reboot)

Hey everyone,

I'm having a strange issue where the card will completely crash my system when i have two displays plugged in. My card is a Gigabyte 7800 XT GAMING OC 16GB. My main display is a 1080p 144hz monitor plugged through DisplayPort, and my secondary display is a 1080p 60hz monitor plugged through an HDMI connector. The crash happens when running games, at random times, and does not appear while stress testing; the main screen goes black, the secondary HDMI screen goes green for a few seconds, and the whole system reboots.

After speaking to several users online, i'm not the only one with this specific problem, as several users with this same monitor setup have the exact same issue. I am positive that the problem is the GPU, as i'm using a system that was completely stable for months otherwise before installing this GPU, and the problem disappears when i replace the 7800 XT with a GTX 1070.

Fixes i have tried:

1. Changing my power supply to rule out power issues
  2. Disabling XMP
  3. Doing a clean driver reinstall several times, using DDU in safe mode and replacing the driver by both the 23.9.1 versions and the 23.9.3 versions, in full, minimal, or driver only installs (the crash persists in all of these scenarios)
  4. Disabling MPO
  5. Doing a complete clean reinstall of Windows
  6. Plugging the secondary monitor through an HDMI-DP adaptor
  7. Updating my motherboard BIOS to the latest version
  8. Plugging both monitors into the card in different ports (i tried all possible combinations)

None of these measures helped stop the crashes. The only thing that has actually worked to stop the crashes is using only my main DisplayPort monitor, that is to say, unplugging the HDMI monitor.

I'm looking to see if there are any other users here who are experiencing this issue, see if there is anything else i haven't thought of trying, and to maybe find out if this is a known issue that can be fixed by a driver update, or if i should return the card.

207 Replies

Still without a crash. It seems using just one monitor fixed it for me. Unfortunately my second monitor has only HDMI so I can't use it/test 2 DP monitors.

0 Likes

UPDATE 29.3.2024

There was only one drivers crash since I started to use only one DP monitor. This crash however was fixed by this article : https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsHelp/comments/18bb6e0/gameinput_service_stops_working_after_windows_...

In event viewer there were events related to game input service, that is how I found solution, so this crash wasn't related to 2 monitors ones.

After reinstallation of drivers I am again running smoothly without issues for some time already.

It is ridiculous that 2 monitors crash still wasn't addressed and I am still forced to use 1 monitor with 650 euros graphics card.

0 Likes

I'm not sure that's the issue, as I am using Linux and I have one HDMI 1080p 60Hz TV (no DP, just 2 HDMI and AV). Whenever playing CS2, I get a green screen and then my PC restarts.
This is my rig: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hanouzz/saved/Yp4tCJ

0 Likes
M0sQu1T0
Adept I

3 days have passed since the removal of adrenaline and there have been no reboots. I continue to observe in this mode

Eren_282
Adept I

New Software Update is out! 

Lets hope for the best.. 

Fangie
Adept I

Installed the latest driver Adrenalin 23.12.1 after uninstalling with DDU and installed drivers only. Still getting crashes, only a couple since the latest driver. I say only because I used to get a few crashes a day especially when the system first starts then it seems to stabilize after it's "warmed-up".

Monitors set up: 1080p 60hz HDMI + 1080p 144hz DP

anyone else still getting crashes (albeit less frequent) after the latest driver?

0 Likes

Ever since I updated to 23.12.1 using Adrenalin Software I haven't experiences a single crash. Really hoping that this update was what fixed it for me

mine crashed yesterday after 1 month of working fine, so i guess it is not completely fixed yet

0 Likes
Boerben
Journeyman III

Hi,

I had the same issues since September when I bought the 7800XT with my dual monitor setup (1080p 60hz HDMI & 1440p 165hz DP). Random crashes (black screens, green screens, restarts..) mostly during windows startup when the driver kicks in, but also random during idle or gaming sometimes. Also used adapter from HDMI to DP. Didn't work. Different Windows and driver Settings. Didn't work. Various driver versions, also the preview drivers, always with a clean DDU uninstall before. Didnt' work.

At the end I got it to work with driver 23.12.1, but there was a twist to it. Just a clean install also made problems. When I tried to open the Adreanlin software it told me that this version of adreanlin ist not compatable or anything like that. So I did a clean uninstall.

Then I used the AMD comaptability tool (https://www.amd.com/de/support/kb/faq/pa-300)  to identify and install a compatable driver automatically. It did install a very weird version from end of August (23.20.01.10 or soemthing like that). I couldn't even find release notes for that driver, but whatever. I also was not able to update the driver via adrenalin software (no update button), but of course I wanted to have the new drivers.

Then I just installed the 23.12.1 via upgrade installation (not a clean install) and everything seems to work fine as it should for about a week now since the new driver came out. Never had such a long period without issues.

So hopefully the new driver or the version I did, helps people with that issue.

regards

0 Likes
B1ackBishop
Adept I

I've been following this post for a while now because I too have this dual monitor setup with random crashes that immediately restart my PC. Sometimes I see a green screen on my second monitor, but not always. In my case, it happens when I'm playing a game while watching a video or listening to a podcast on YouTube, for example.

PSU: 750W Gold
Mobo: ASUS Prime X470-Pro
CPU: AMD 5800X3D
GPU: Sapphire Pulse 7800 XT 16GB
RAM: 4x8GB 3200 DDR4
Dual monitor setup: 1080p 144Hz DP + 1080p 60Hz HDMI

When it happened the first few times, I did a DDU and updated all my chipset drivers through the AMD site. This didn't fix the isseu and I was getting a crash once every 2 or 3 days.
I replaced my 1080p 60Hz HDMI monitor for a 1440p 144Hz DP monitor, so now my dual monitor setup is:
1440p 144Hz DP + 1080p 144Hz DP

As stated by some, the DP+ DP setup seemed to resolve the issue. However, I got a crash/immediately restart today after a week with no issues, so although the issue seems to be a lot less consistente, it doesn't seem to have disappeared completely. Again, this happened while I was gaming and running a YouTube video on the second monitor.

I always ran the latest AMD GPU drivers, running Adrenaline 23.12.1 as of the time of posting.
Previously I had a Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 8GB and never had any of these crashes with a dual monitor setup.

0 Likes

buying a new monitor with DP to run DP + DP is my last resort. but if DP + DP still has crashes then AMD really need to fix whatever is wrong with the card....

0 Likes
Buzlo111
Adept I

I didn't have any crashes after updating the drivers, but today I launched Crysis Remastered and got a serious crash. The computer couldn't start Windows, I was getting a gray introductory screen with a cursor in low resolution with artifacts. There were several attempts to restart the computer. I decided to turn off the power completely, after which the computer started working normally. I thought the video adapter was dead.

0 Likes

I have two monitors, one of them had a youtube video running (DP+HDMI)

yea I had a good run without crashes after updating the driver, now they've come back although less frequent.

0 Likes
alfata
Adept II

Sounds pretty familiar (7900XT)
Some changes (like which RAM is plugged in) make changes to how consistently it crashes
or like disabling HW acceleration for everything I can.
But crashes always happen only the consistency changes

and there is never a consistent cause.

0 Likes
metalconscript
Journeyman III

I can't see the post replies. What is the fix? I am experiencing the same issue.

0 Likes

For me at least it has been fixed by two monitors with Display Port inputs.

0 Likes

The problem has a few variants as far as I can tell.  Using the HDMI port causes problems for some.  Using multiple display ports can also cause issues.  Using just 1 display port seems to work for many.  I used a HDMI to DIsplay Port adapter which reduced the reboots but didnt fix the issue.  Some people have claimed the problem was fixed with using recent versions of drivers.

It's pretty much a random number game tbh.  If you make any changes in AMD Adrenaline, make sure you save the settings, as they wil ALL reset if you get a reboot (which I guess the software does when it detects an unstable driver).

I set my max frequency to 2430MHz (stock clocks) and tweaked a few other settings and still had errorrs.  The errors pretty much stopped after I started using the latest BIOS and changed which slots the RAM is plugged in (I changed a few things at once so Im not 100% on what fixed the problem tbh) *shrugs*    Your milage may vary. 

0 Likes

Well I got tired of it so I’m returning it. Reinstalled *ahem* another’s older model and my gaming is much smoother. I’m not going to put up with it. 

Mooddie
Adept I

So double DP fixed it?

It did for these particular  crashes in my particular case. You should check if the HDMI+DP is what is causing your crashes by running a single DP monitor.

0 Likes
Fangie
Adept I

@Matt_AMD seems like the December driver update didn't fix the issue for some of us, although it did improved the frequency of the crash happening. Can you look into this further?

Please check your DMs as I sent you a message. 

0 Likes

I dont believe we have installed the latest drivers yet, however I can tell you that installing the latest BIOS for my motherboard seems to have resolved all crashes on my system. I can provide more detail if it's of help.

0 Likes

We're all still waiting on a proper solution to be deployed. Theres 12 months of the same errors popping up. What's the deal dude?

If ya'll cant deploy a driver fix then whats the workaround? There are threads with a litany of troubleshooting steps people have tried with no resolution. Ive a thousand dollar product in my computer that isnt reliable.

0 Likes
jaycccckc
Adept I

It **bleep**ing happened again. 

0 Likes
jaycccckc
Adept I

If amd can put more effort into making customer service better instead of putting all those false advertising to fake people into buying their **bleep**ty product we wouldnt end up like this. The issue has been reported for 4 months now and there's still no fix to it. **bleep** is this **bleep**??? 

0 Likes
Isendyl
Adept II

Still not resolved after 3 month 

I wish they would atleast acknowledge this issue 

0 Likes
albuquezi
Adept I

Hi,

Just a short update from my side. In December, I reported here grey screen crashes with both dual and single monitor, with Windows and Linux.

I think my problem is solved now. It has been more than a month now without grey screen (or any) crashes, with single and dual monitors: gaming and desktoping just fine.

I updated the BIOS of my motherboard to the last version, and I think it was that that solved the crashes. I'm using an ASROCK motherboard X670E Steel Legend, and before updating, I was using a BIOS version from june 2023, so even before the 7800 XT had launched. The BIOS Version release notes don't make any mention of the graphic card, but these release notes are always so laconic and short.

So my advice for everyone is to check their motherboard BIOS. It worked for me (so far :))

Cheers,

Albu

0 Likes

I updated mine too after i noticed the last time i did was literally few days before the latest version released, and so far no crash at all

Are you updating the BIOS to the latest or the latest Validated BIOS that's compatible to your CPU? I have an ASROCK B650M PG Riptide WiFi motherboard.

0 Likes
SoleGossamer
Adept I

I'm facing the same problem (green screen crash) on my RX 7800 Nitro+ video card. I tried almost all the methods described here, but nothing helped (the only nuance - both monitors have VGA, and I use VGA-HDMI and monster adapters (VGA-HDMI and HDMI-DP) because when I got the second monitor, I got this pair of adapters). That said, after I bought it, everything was fine for two weeks, no crashes. Then I needed to reinstall Windows 10. I did it and this time I downloaded Adrenalin (before reinstallation I didn't even download clean drivers). And after that, problems started happening (coincidentally so or AMD app is to blame). The first time I encountered a crash in Kerbal Space Program 1, when launching a ship with multiple engines (I played at max settings, and for several hours, without problems, until the first case). Didn't get it, decided to try again. Started the game and the situation repeated. Reduced the settings, somewhere to medium, probably, and the problems were no longer observed. A couple days later, decided to play The Witcher 3 (DirectX12). At maximum settings (with rays, without rays, without Nvidia hair simulation) - crash (in the menu everything is normal, but when the location is loaded immediately green screens). *Note - before reinstalling Windows played at maximum, and it seems that only once the game froze, but without crashing. Lowering the settings did not give any result (maximum - 20-30 seconds could run, and then - crash). In New World similar story - at maximum settings often crashes, at low settings, I can play normally for a few hours, but it is after a long session, teleportation, at the end of the animation also crashes PC. In FurMark - full random. When trying to run full screen FullHD (native resolution of both monitors) - often crashes PC. Sometimes I manage to run (even 4K in windowed mode), but I can hear throttles beeping. After reading this whole forum, I got very frustrated. The problem still lasts, since release (for 4 months now). I used RX 5500 4Gb video card, which also had its own problems (after Adrenalin update screen recordings were saved as green video with audio track (game sounds, programs, microphone), then after the update sometimes crashes or hangs, but in single games, but it was fixed relatively quickly. Very much waiting for the release of the 7000 line, deciding once again to try, because it has been not a little time since the release of the 5000 line. I sympathize with this company and its policy (excellent processors (I have 5 3600, which is enough for me for everything), publicly available technologies (FSR, for example), tempting price and performance of video cards), but the poor (and now even deplorable) driver support, again, for so many years - very disappointing

0 Likes

Make sure adrenaline didnt OC your card stupidly high.  I recall my wifes card maxing out  settings because of a bug or some such but I could be mistaken.

0 Likes

I've been getting crashes with and without Adrenaline. I also tried quiet bios, with reduced frequencies - didn't help. Besides, I will probably change this card to 4070 Super and wait for the next generation of AMD graphics cards

0 Likes

This GPU has been problematic; it caused my PC to randomly shut down without any error messages, blue screens, or warnings—just a sudden complete shutdown, as if someone had unplugged the cable. Initially, I suspected a PSU issue and upgraded to a 1000W unit from my 650W one, only to discover that the problem persisted. Eventually, I reverted to my reliable 3070, and I returned the troublesome GPU to the seller, hoping for a refund. The challenge lies in the sporadic nature of the issue, making it difficult to predict or diagnose and confirm the issue.

Paying 550 euros for a graphics card should guarantee a hassle-free experience. The expectation that users must possess technical expertise to handle these products suggests they are not quite market-ready. It's akin to buying a car and having to perform a head gasket replacement just to drive it out of the showroom—a situation that seems absurd. AMD should be more mindful of these issues. As a first-time AMD GPU user, this experience has left me hesitant, and it might very well be my last.

0 Likes
redlabour
Journeyman III

Same for me and still in March 2024! 

AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT  (Driver 24.2.1)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D

MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD (DP) and Philips UHDTV (HDMI)

0 Likes
B1ackBishop
Adept I

So, to update my 12-12-2023 post, I've tried a DP + DP setup, still crashes, sometimes forcing the PC to reboot. No error messages. I've basically tried everything suggested here on this thread, and the crashes persist. Sometime more than once a week, sometimes less, but never got it resolved.

The latest "fix" I tried was to update my BIOS, as also suggested on this thread and unfortunately, still getting random crashes.

I have to say, AMD has been my go to for GPUs and CPUs for many years now, and I understand sometimes we have to put up with issues because nothing is, and can be, perfect. Sometimes we just have to be patient and wait for fixes and improvements. In this case though, I've had this 7800 XT since November and this crashing issue is pretty serious. I'm waiting for the day this crash reboots my PC at the worst possible moment and I then have issues with my OS and/or booting up my PC. I'm seriously considering shelling out more money for the same performance and going for nVidiia next time, because I'm pretty sure that if I'd have chosen a 4070 instead of this 7800 XT, I wouldn't be having these issues.

0 Likes

What helped me, initially, was to lower the frequencies a lot (Nitro+ graphics card and I lowered to 2100, if I remember correctly), I didn't encounter any errors. And later I tried undervolting (https://youtu.be/83Gz_A-luXI?si=nZ-vBqoOSmci4VD9&t=72). And the error did not appear for more than a month (except for a single time, and that may be because the profile in Adrenalin was reset). I recommend you to save the settings profile in the application, because due to incorrect shutdown of Windows, Adrenalin settings are reset. Try it, maybe it will help

0 Likes

I'll give it a go and post some feedback after testing. Thx for the reply and link.

It's ironic. Got the green screen twice today in Last Epoch, even though I've been playing all day for a week now and haven't had any problems. I'll try lowering the frequency a bit more to 2200 MHz

0 Likes